Questions about Proving R/I is not the Zero Ring

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Zero
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof attached and raises questions about the notation and computation involved in working with ideals. It also clarifies that in the quotient ring R/I, the elements are of the form a + I.
Artusartos
I have a question about the proof that I attached...

1) Since R/I is not the zero ring, we know that [tex]1 \not= 0[/tex]. What is the reason to say [tex]1 + I \not= 0 + I[/tex] instead of [tex]1 \not= 0[/tex]?2) Also, how do we compute something like (a+I)(b+I)? Isn't this correct [tex](a+I)(b+I) = ab+aI+bI+I^2[/tex]?

3) Finally, if we have something like R/I, how do we know if the elements in R/I are of the form a+I or aI? Or is it both (since it's a ring)?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20130107_144311.jpg
    20130107_144311.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, how do we compute something like (a+I)(b+I)? Isn't this correct [tex](a+I)(b+I) = ab+aI+bI+I^2[/tex]?

Strictly, yes; but you didn't finish. How can you simplify it further, using what you know about ideals and multiplication?

Finally, if we have something like R/I, how do we know if the elements in R/I are of the form a+I or aI? Or is it both (since it's a ring)?

R/I is the quotient of R by the normal subgroup I of (R,+) satisfying the additional constraint that RI = I. The cosets are of the form a + I.

What is the reason to say [tex]1 + I \not= 0 + I[/tex]

We know that [itex]0 \in I[/itex] by definition, so [itex]0 + I = I[/itex]. We also know that [itex]I[/itex] is a proper ideal, so it can't contain 1 (what happens if an ideal contains a unit?). It follows that [itex]1 + I \neq I[/itex].

1. How do you prove that R/I is not the zero ring?

To prove that R/I is not the zero ring, we need to show that there exists an element in R/I that is not equal to zero. This can be done by finding an element in R that is not in the ideal I, and showing that its coset in R/I is not equal to the zero coset.

2. What is the significance of proving that R/I is not the zero ring?

Proving that R/I is not the zero ring is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the quotient ring. It also allows us to determine if the ideal I is a proper ideal or not.

3. Can R/I be the zero ring if R is not the zero ring?

No, if R is not the zero ring, then R/I cannot be the zero ring. This is because the zero coset in R/I is the image of the zero element in R, and since R is not the zero ring, there exists at least one element in R that is not equal to zero.

4. How does the existence of a unit element in R affect the proof that R/I is not the zero ring?

If R has a unit element, then proving that R/I is not the zero ring becomes easier. This is because we can choose the element in R that is not in the ideal I to be the unit element, and its coset in R/I will not be equal to the zero coset.

5. What are some common methods used to prove that R/I is not the zero ring?

Some common methods used to prove that R/I is not the zero ring include finding a non-zero element in R that is not in the ideal I, showing that its coset in R/I is not equal to the zero coset, and using the fact that R/I is a field if and only if I is a maximal ideal in R.