1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime numbers and divisiblity

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    Problem 1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that p^2 - 1, where p is a prime greater than 3, is evenly
    divisible by 24.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    p^2 - 1 can be written as (p+1)(p-1)
    Since p is a prime, (p+1) and (p-1) must both be even numbers.
    Since every third integer is divisible by 3, either (p+1) or (p-1) must be divisible by 3.
    So, this gives us the prime factors, 2, 2 and 3. But to make the product (p+1)(p-1)
    divisible by 24, we need another 2. What I'm wondering is where this last 2 comes from.

Problem 2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    m = 2^p - 1
    Prove that, if p is not a prime, then m will not be a prime.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If p is not a prime, then it can be written as the product of two numbers, a and b.
    p = ab
    Thus m = 2^(ab) - 1.
    This is as far as I've come. My book says that 2^(ab) - 1 will always be evenly divisible
    by 2^a - 1. How can you see this? I have tried to factor out 2^a - 1, but I can't figure out what the other factor would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toftarn

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
    I have an answer for your first question. You forgot to divide the number again.
    Example: 5 will be the prime number. (5-1)*(5+1)=4*6. 4=2^2. Here is the two twos now.
    6=2*3. That's the one two and the other three.

That should be it.
    From,
    grade 8 honour student

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    But of course, p - 1 and p + 1 are consecutive even numbers. Thus, one must be divisible by four, and the other not. So, the factors are 2, 4, and 3, which gives 24.

5. Sep 15, 2008 #4
    I see. Every other even number must be evenly divisible by 4. Thanks for the help. And, by the way, I managed to solve the second problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?