Solving the Prime Numbers Problem: Proving p=q with p and q as Prime Numbers

In summary: Therefore, if p and q are both prime numbers and the given expression is an integer, then p must be equal to q. This can also be proven algebraically by setting p=q and simplifying the expression.In summary, the given problem can be solved by proving that if p and q are prime numbers, then (p^2+q^2)/(p+q) is an integer if and only if p=q. This can be shown either through direct substitution or algebraic manipulation.
Carl140
Hello,

I can't get this small contest problem. How do you solve this kind of problem?

Let p and q be prime numbers such that (p^2+q^2)/(p+q) is an integer.
Prove p=q.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't figure it out.

p^2+q^2=n1*(p+q)

p(p-n1)+q(q-n1)=0

(p-n1)=n2*(q-n1)

p-n1+n2 n1=n2 q

What if r divides the denominator?

What's r?

Carl140 said:
What's r?
Some number that happens to divide the denominator.

I still don't get it, sorry. Can you please explain a little bit more?

I think I have a solution but I won't post it without moderator approval.

Okay, here is my hint. What theorem might be helpful to show what integer values of p+q will satisfy the following equation?

(p+q)^2-m(p+q)-2pq=0

Where m is an integer, p is prime and q is prime.

I got it.
Hint: Use the conjugate rule.

For solution
(p^2+q^2)/(p+q)=(p^2-q^2)+2q^2)(p+q)=p-q+q^2/((p+q)/2)

but q^2 is only divisible by 1,q,q^2. (p+q)/2 is obv not equal to 1. if it is equal to q, p=q and if it is equal to q^2, q|p and then p=q since they are prime.

Last edited:
Carl140 said:
Hello,

I can't get this small contest problem. How do you solve this kind of problem?

Let p and q be prime numbers such that (p^2+q^2)/(p+q) is an integer.
Prove p=q.

This statement can be more generalised as follows;

Let p and q be prime numbers then (p^2+q^2)/(p+q) is a prime if and only if p = q

de_brook said:
This statement can be more generalised as follows;

Let p and q be prime numbers then (p^2+q^2)/(p+q) is a prime if and only if p = q
the prime is p = q

1. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are natural numbers (positive integers) that can only be divided by 1 and itself without leaving a remainder. Examples of prime numbers include 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and so on.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime or not?

There are a few different methods for determining if a number is prime. One method is to check if the number is divisible by any number between 2 and the number itself. If it is not divisible by any number, then it is considered prime. Another method is to use the Sieve of Eratosthenes, which involves creating a list of all numbers up to the given number and crossing out any numbers that are divisible by smaller numbers.

3. What is the importance of prime numbers in mathematics?

Prime numbers play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and computing. They are also used in real-world applications such as data encryption and security.

4. What is the largest known prime number?

The largest known prime number as of 2021 is 2^82,589,933 - 1, which has over 24.8 million digits. This number was discovered in December 2018 and is known as M82589933.

5. Are there an infinite number of prime numbers?

Yes, there are an infinite number of prime numbers. This was proved by Euclid in 300 BCE, and it is known as the Euclid's Theorem. The proof involves assuming that there is a largest prime number, and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving that there cannot be a largest prime number.