1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime pattern

1. Jun 28, 2006 #1
    I am curious as to whether this pattern will always hold true:

Let's say we take the prime numbers:
    2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23.......primes
    and we take the square(individually) minus 1
    3,8,24,48,120,168,288,360,528....p^2 - 1

Then starting with the third p^2 - 1 (24), all of the p^2 - 1 can be rewritten as and earlier p^2-1 times a prime # (or multiple prime #'s)

for example: 24=8x3,48=24x2,528=48x11,...and so on.

Is this at all interseting or just something stupid that I am missing?

Let me know,
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not just say "p²-1 times a number"?

It's a rather trivial observation; 3 is on your list.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  4. Jun 28, 2006 #3
    The number 4 times out of five is a single prime #. It seemed a lot nicer when i posted it and in the first ten i checked 9 of them were single prime numbers. I have since found 3 more where the # is a multiple of 2 primes (2 and 3 in all cases). Thanks for at least looking at it Hurkyl

5. Jun 29, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect what you're seeing is simply a property of small numbers, rather than anything special about your construction. That's why I asked how far you looked -- I imagine when you start looking at numbers in the trillions, you won't see this sort of thing very frequently at all.

6. Jun 29, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you can factor p^2-1 you should start to see that this is not likely to be a recurrent pattern (an even weaker hypothesis is for every prime p, either p-1 or p+1 to have a repeated factor). This seems highly unlikely to be true in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?