1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime products

1. Jul 14, 2005 #1
    Is this equaltiy exact?:

[tex] \Pi(a_p+b_p)= \Pi(a_p)+\Pi(b_p) [/tex]

where both products a_p,b_p and (a_p+b_p) converge

another qeustion [tex]\Pi 1=1[/tex] ?

all products are made respect to all primes..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

your first conjecture is vacuous i think, though i haven't checked properly: there is no situation where all three products can exist for the usual definitions of convergent products, namely, prod(1+x_n) converges iff sum(x_n) converges. and besides, does it even seem reasonable? if the index set were finite it is false.

and yes for the second one.

4. Jul 14, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The equality is not exact -- it's not in the ballpark. It's impossible for all three of those infinite products to converge.

Yes, the infinite product of the constant 1 is, in fact, 1, as can be easily seen by taking the limit of the partial products.

5. Jul 15, 2005 #4
    how about [tex] a_p=1 , b_p=\frac{1}{1-p^{-s}} [/tex]they both converge, if the equality is exact the sum:

[tex] a_p-b_p=\frac{p^{-s}}{1-p^{-s}} [/tex] the product would converge to

[tex]1-\zeta(s) [/tex] being R(s) riemann,s zeta function..is that true?..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  6. Jul 15, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

did you not read the posts above?

7. Jul 15, 2005 #6
    yes i have read the post, i have given two converging products and i would like to know if the equality [tex]1-\zeta(s)=\Pi\frac{p^{-s}}{1-p^{-s}} [/tex] is exact, because you can see that all the products

a(p)=1 b(p)=1/1-p^{-s} and a(p)+b(p) converge for certain values of s and how about?...

[tex]1+1/\zeta(s)=\Pi(2+p^{-s} [/tex]

8. Jul 15, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

so, you'vwe been told that if prod(1+x_n) is convergent, and so is prod(1+y_n) then the prod(1+x_n+1+y_n) cannot be convergent. so why are you still asking if it is possible?

let p+n be the n'th prime.

let 1+y_n = a_{p_n}-b_{p_n} and 1+x_n= b_{p_n}. you are claiming these both converge, therefore, for whatever value of s this correpsonds to, to a_{p_n} cannot converge. but a_p_n=1 so actually (at least one of) the other two products cannot exist.

9. Jul 15, 2005 #8
    could you help me with these product and say if they converge and what would be their value?..

[tex]\Pi\frac{2+p^{-s}}{1+p^{-s}} \Pi2-p^{-s} [/tex]

10. Jul 15, 2005 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it converges iff the sum of 1/(1+p^{-s}) work out when this can happen, eg by the sandwich principle say. i think you'll find it's approximately when s<-1 (assuming s real) which as we know is out of the range of the region of convergence for the zeta function.

edit: now you've changed it. and [itex]\prod 2[/itex] doesn't make sense, really. what's the insdex? why is there a stray p^-s involved? why am i bothering to help you since you never listen to me anyway?

11. Jul 15, 2005 #10

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Reading his code, not that it really matters anyway, it's meant to be displayed as:

[tex]\prod \left(\frac{2+p^{-s}}{1+p^{-s}}\right) \prod \left(2 - p^{-s}\right)[/tex]

Although to me it still seems quite ill-defined, but never mind.

12. Jul 15, 2005 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, that never exists since the second product never exists; the terms either converge to zero or diverge to (minus) infinity.

13. Jul 15, 2005 #12
    can you help me i need to find a product so:

[tex]1+1/\zeta(s)=\prod f(p) [/tex]

14. Jul 15, 2005 #13

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

almost certainly not since there isn't even a product for zeta(s) that works for all s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?