Exploring Prime Numbers & Square Roots

In summary, the speaker has read several books on the Riemann Hypothesis and has developed a root system based on Euclid's ideas and congruence that reveals interesting properties of the square roots of prime numbers. The system shows that prime numbers only fall on the parabola with the vertex of 1/2, and the speaker wonders about the relation between this and the non-trivial zeros and their real part 1/2. The speaker also discusses a pattern in primes of 6(n)+-1 and how a base 12 system lends itself to grouping them nicely. The four groups derived from this pattern are referred to as P1, P5, P7, and P11, and they each have a
JeremyEbert
I have read several books on the Riemann Hypothesis and have a general understanding of the non-trivial zeros and their real part 1/2. In my own studies I have devised a root system based upon some of Euclid’s ideas and congruence that identifies some interesting properties of the square roots of prime numbers. I have included a graph of the root system which I hope visually depicts some these properties and their uses in factoring. In my root system prime numbers only fall on the parabola with the vertex of 1/2. I wonder what relation, if any, can be compared to the non-trivial zeros and their real part 1/2?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_u6-6d4_gs.../bdPIJMIFTLE/s1600/prime-+square+12a+zoom.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_u6-6d4_gs...AAAE8/_hov_b0sno4/s1600/prime-+square+12a.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting observance; 2 and 3 being the first two prime numbers make up the basic pattern in primes of 6(n)+-1 which accounts for 2/3 of all factorable numbers giving way to highly composite numbers. This factorability is the reason a base 12 system lends itself to grouping so nicely. With primes you get 4 groups of mod(p,12) outside of 2 and 3; = (1),(5),(7),(11). These 4 groups are derived from the pattern created by 2 and 3.
6(even) + 1 = (1)
6(odd) - 1 = (5)
6(odd) + 1 = (7)
6(even) – 1 = (11)
I like to refer to these groups as P1, P5, P7 and P11.
These 4 groups obviously contain composite numbers but they are nicely organized with their perfect square congruence. For instance, all P1 numbers have a mod (n1^2, 12) = 0 square congruence to mod (n2^2, 12) = 1 ( Group P1). The 4 groups’ square congruence is as follows;
P1 + (mod (n1^2, 12) = 0) == (mod (n2^2, 12) = 1)
P5 + (mod (n1^2, 12) = 4) == (mod (n2^2, 12) = 9)
P7 + (mod (n1^2, 12) = 9) == (mod (n2^2, 12) = 4)
P11 + (mod (n1^2, 12) = 1) == (mod (n2^2, 12) = 0)
Prime numbers: n1 = (P’ -1)/2 & n2 = (P’ +1)/2
Composite numbers: n1 <= (P’ -1)/2 & n2 <= (P’ +1)/2
Interesting results:
All Mersenne Primes are in P7.
All Prime Squares are in P1.
What would the proper equation for this be?

Last edited:

1. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. In other words, they have no other factors besides 1 and the number itself.

2. How do you determine if a number is prime?

To determine if a number is prime, you can use the "Sieve of Eratosthenes" method. This involves creating a list of all numbers from 2 to the number you want to check. Then, starting with 2, you cross out all of its multiples. You continue this process with the next unmarked number until you reach the square root of the original number. If any numbers are left unmarked, then the original number is prime.

3. What is the significance of prime numbers?

Prime numbers have many applications in mathematics, including in cryptography, number theory, and computer science. They also have practical uses, such as in generating unique identification numbers, and in creating secure passwords.

4. What are square roots?

The square root of a number is a value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 x 5 = 25. The symbol for square root is √, and the square root of a number can also be expressed as the number raised to the power of 1/2.

5. How do you find the square root of a number?

There are several methods for finding the square root of a number, including using a calculator, using a square root table, or using the long division method. However, the most common method is using a calculator, as it can accurately find the square root of any number, including non-perfect square numbers.