Are all (q) prime ideals in Z(\rho)?

In summary, the last question in Elements of Abstract Algebra by Allan Clark asks when (q) is a prime ideal in Z(\rho) where \rho = e^{2\pi i /p}, and p and q are rational primes. The question is difficult to answer in general, but it is shown specifically for p=3 that x^{p-1} + x^{p-2} + x^{p-3} + ... + 1 must be irreducible over Zq in order for (q) to be a prime ideal. Any other (q) must also be a prime ideal, except for the case where ##\mathbb{Z}[\rho]/q\cdot \mathbb{Z}[\
learningphysics
Homework Helper
This is the last question in Elements of Abstract Algebra by Allan Clark.

When is (q) a prime ideal in [tex]Z(\rho)[/tex] (the Kummer ring) where [tex]\rho = e^{2\pi i /p}[/tex], where p and q are rational primes.

This seems to be a difficult question to answer in general... since considerable effort goes into answering for p =3 alone in the book.

I think we need [tex]x^{p-1} + x^{p-2} + x^{p-3} + ... + 1[/tex] to be irreducible over Zq - ring of integers mod q (they show this result specifically for Z(w) the kummer ring for p=3 which I'm generalizing here for all primes... hope I'm correct)...
is there any more we can say immediately without going into specific cases of q ?

Appreciate any help or hints. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the case in which ##\mathbb{Z}[\rho]/q\cdot \mathbb{Z}[\rho]## is no integral domain, i.e. ##(q)## no prime ideal. Then there have to be elements ##a=a_0+a_1\rho+\ldots+a_{p-1}\rho^{p-1}\, , \,b=b_0+b_1\rho+\ldots+b_{p-1}\rho^{p-1}## such that ##a\cdot b \in (q)##, i.e. ##q\,|\,a\cdot b##.

All other ##(q)## are then prime ideals.

What are primes in Kummer rings?

Primes in Kummer rings are prime numbers that have a special property in the algebraic structure known as a Kummer ring. These primes play an important role in number theory and have applications in cryptography and coding theory.

How are primes in Kummer rings different from regular prime numbers?

Unlike regular prime numbers, which are defined as numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves, primes in Kummer rings are defined in terms of their behavior in the Kummer ring structure. This means that a number can be a prime in one Kummer ring but not in another.

What is the significance of primes in Kummer rings?

Primes in Kummer rings have several important properties that make them useful in mathematics and cryptography. They can be used to construct efficient error-correcting codes and secure cryptographic systems. They also have interesting connections to other areas of mathematics, such as elliptic curves and algebraic number theory.

How are primes in Kummer rings related to Fermat's little theorem?

Fermat's little theorem states that for any prime number p, the number a raised to the power of p is congruent to a modulo p. This theorem can be generalized to Kummer rings, where it states that for any prime number p, the number a raised to the power of p is congruent to a modulo p in the Kummer ring structure.

Are there any open questions or conjectures related to primes in Kummer rings?

Yes, there are several open questions and conjectures related to primes in Kummer rings. Some of these include the existence of infinitely many primes in certain Kummer rings, the distribution of these primes, and their relationship to other areas of mathematics. These questions continue to be an active area of research in number theory.