Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primes in ring of Gauss integers - help

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1
    Primes in ring of Gauss integers - help!!

I'm having a very difficult time solving this question, please help!
    So i'm dealing with the ring [tex]R=\field{Z}[\zeta][/tex] where
    [tex]\zeta=\frac{1}{2}(-1+\sqrt{-3})[/tex]
    is a cube root of 1.
    Then the question is:
    Show the polynomial [tex]x^2+x+1[/tex] has a root in [tex]F_p[/tex] if and only if [tex]p\equiv1 (mod 3)[/tex].

I thought i could show this in two steps, by showing that:
    a) a solves [tex]x^2+x=-1(mod p)[/tex] if and only if a is an element of order 3 in [tex]F^x_p[/tex].
    b)[tex]F^x_p[/tex] contains an element of order 3 if and only if [tex]p\equiv1 (mod 3)[/tex].

I've proved part b, but i can't seem to get a hold of a.
    Please help :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, first I think you need to review the problem and definitions... the things you've said don't seem to connect to one another.

Anyways, I think this might help: note that

x^3 - 1 = (x - 1) (x^2 + x + 1)

4. Jan 16, 2005 #3
    Hmm....sorry, i don't see what you mean.

5. Jan 16, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means that if a is a root of x^2 + x + 1, then it is also a root of x^3 - 1. (i.e. it is a cube root of 1)

6. Jan 16, 2005 #5
    ah, so a^3=1, and a has order 3. We can apply the argument backwards, and that will prove a). I see, thanks Hurkyl! :smile:
    There's also a second part to this problem, which says (p) is prime ideal in R if and only if p=-1 (mod 3)
    Apparently the first part of this problem applies, but i'll have to think about this more.

7. Jan 16, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, so that's why you mentioned R.

(Incidentally, I think you meant algebraic integers, not Gaussian integers)

I don't know if it will help, but note that if Fp has a root of x^2 + x + 1, then there is a homomorphism from R onto Fp.

8. Jan 26, 2005 #7
    I was looking at a somewhat similar problem, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=60863

You use quadratic reciprocity on [tex] X^2\equiv-3 [/tex] Mod p to discover that p is of the form 3k+1. Thus, this prime splits over a field with[tex] \sqrt{-3}, [/tex]so it would not generate a prime ideal.

Example: [tex]7=2^2+2+1=(2-\zeta)(2-\zeta^2) [/tex]

By the way, as Hurkyl points out, this is an algebratic number theory problem.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  9. Feb 12, 2005 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

this is elementary. look at the group homomorphism from the multiplicative group Fp - {0} to itself defined by cubing. then if there is a primitive cube root of 1, the map is 3 to 1, and has image of order 1/3 the order of the group, i.e. then 3 divides p-1. on the other hand if 3 divides the order of the group, it is elementary group theory that there exists an element of order 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?