1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primitive cell

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] primitive cell

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Could someone give me a mathematically rigorous of a primitive cell? I have read like 4 different definitions and none of them seem mathematically rigorous.
    I think Wikipedia's definition is particularly ambiguous: "a minimum cell corresponding to a single lattice point" ?
    In what sense is minimum being used? In what sense is cell being used?

EDIT: this should probably be in the Advanced Physics section but I cannot delete it or move it

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2
    Someone PLEASE HELP this problem is driving me insane.

In the picture in the Crystal Structure section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaCl, what is the primitive cell AND WHY?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    I think I understand now. Go to http://www.neutron.anl.gov/hyper-physics/bravais.html.

The primitive cell of the cubic face-centered structure of the NaCl lattice IS NOT THE CUBE. The cube is the CONVENTIONAL cell for the primitive face-centered cubic structure (e.g. NaCl) but IT CANNOT BE THE PRIMITIVE CELL BECAUSE IT CONTAINS 4 LATTICE POINTS WHICH IS MORE THAN 1.

The primitive cell of the the fcc crystal is actually a rhombohedron.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. Jan 17, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You got the idea :) Crystal structure is quite hard in the beginning, many new things to learn.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?