Finding the Primitive Function for y'(x)=xcos(x2) | Homework Help and Equations

• Thread starter jakobs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primitive
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the primitive function for y'(x)= xcos(x²). One method is to let u=x² and use the formula for the integral of sin(u). Another method is to write the integral as (1/2)(2)∫xsin(x²)dx and use the formula for the integral of sin(x²). The final solution is y(x)= 1/2 sin(x²).
jakobs

Homework Statement

I have y'(x)= xcos(x2)
How do I get the primitive function for this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that f'(x)=2xcos(x2) is f(x)=sin(x2)
How will removing that 2 in front of xcos affect the primitive function?

Physics news on Phys.org
y(x)=1/2f(x)

A more "formal" way to do this would be to let [itex]u= x^2[/itex] so that [itex]du= 2xdx[/itex] or [itex](1/2)du= xdx[/itex]. Then [itex]\int x sin(x^2)dx[/itex] becomes [itex](1/2)\int sin(u)du[/itex]. Alternatively, write [itex]\int x sin(x^2)dx[/itex] as [itex](1/2)(2)\int x sin(x^2)dx= (1/2)\int sin(x^2)(2x)dx[/itex]

Note that you can only move constants into and out of the integral like that. If that first "x" were not there, you could not do the integral.

Last edited by a moderator:
conquest said:
y(x)=1/2f(x)

So, the answer should be f(x)=1/2 sin(x) ?

HallsofIvy said:
A more "formal" way to do this would be to let [itex]u= x^2[/itex] so that [itex]du= 2xdx[/itex] or [itex](1/2)du= xdx[/itex]. Then [itex]\int x sin(x^2)dx[/itex] becomes [itex](1/2)\int sin(u)du[/tex]. Alternatively, write [itex]\int x sin(x^2)dx[/itex] as [itex](1/2)(2)\int x sin(x^2)dx= (1/2)\int sin(x^2)(2x)dx[/itex]

I'm not completely understand everything you wrote there, and I feel a bit stupid now.

@jakobs
well you actually put f(x)=sin(x²). So I meant y(x)= 1/2 sin(x²). Then indeed y'(x)=xcos(x²).

@Halls of Ivy
Agreed this would be the 'follow the recepy' way of doing it, but with a problem this straightforward it really isn't necessary.

1. What is a primitive function?

A primitive function, also known as an antiderivative, is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function as its result.

2. How do you find the primitive function for a given derivative?

To find the primitive function for a given derivative, you can use a variety of methods such as the power rule, the chain rule, or integration by substitution. In this case, you can use the integration by substitution method to find the primitive function for y'(x) = xcos(x^2).

3. What is the power rule for finding primitive functions?

The power rule states that the primitive function of a function in the form of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is a constant of integration. This rule can be used to find the primitive function for a variety of functions, including polynomials and trigonometric functions.

4. Can you explain the process of integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used to find the primitive function for a given derivative by substituting a variable in the derivative with another variable. This new variable is then integrated, and the original variable is substituted back in. In this case, we can let u = x^2 and du = 2x dx, which can be substituted into the derivative y'(x) = xcos(x^2) to give us the integral of cos(u) du. Then, using the integral of cos(u) = sin(u) + C, we can substitute back in the original variable to get the primitive function y(x) = sin(x^2) + C.

5. Can a primitive function have multiple solutions?

Yes, a primitive function can have multiple solutions because a constant of integration (C) is added to the result of the integration process. This constant can take on any value, resulting in different solutions for the same primitive function. However, all of these solutions will still be valid primitive functions for the given derivative.