1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primitive n-th roots

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that primitive n-th roots of unity have the form [itex]e^{i2\pi k/n}[/itex] for [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z},n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] coprime.

The attempt at a solution

So the n-th roots of unity [itex]z[/itex] have the property [itex]z^{n}=1[/itex]. I have previously shown that [itex](e^{2\pi ik/n})^{n}=e^{2\pi ik}=(e^{2\pi i})^{k}=1^{k}=1 [/itex]. However, I'm not sure where to start in proving that primitive n-th roots of unity have that property. Any ideas on where I could get started?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem isn't to show that if z is a primitive n-th root of 1 that z^n=1. You know that. A primitive n-th root of 1 is also an n-th root of 1. What's the definition of a primitive root?

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    A primitive n-th root has the smallest such n that z^n = 1. So if k and n aren't coprime then they would have a common factor except 1, because if they did, you could have a smaller n s.t. z^n = 1.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yes, that's the really sloppy explanation.

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    We never covered it in class so I've had to make do with various online sources and have had some difficulty coming up with a formal definition to help me with the proof (though I basically understand what's going on). Do you have a moreformal definition that I could use as a starting point? Thanks!

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

z is a primitive nth root of unity if [itex]z^n=1[/itex] and [itex]z^k \ne 1[/itex] for [itex]0<k<n[/itex].

8. Jan 21, 2012 #7
    How's this for starters?

Let [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a primitive n-th root of unity. Then, for [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] s.t. [itex]0<k<n[/itex] ,[itex]z^{n}=1[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Suppose [itex]n=jk[/itex] for some j[itex]\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Then, since z is a root of unity, [itex]z=e^{2k\pi i/n}[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}=z^{n/j}=e^{(2\pi ik/n)^{n/j}}=e^{(2\pi ik)/j}=(e^{2\pi i})^{k/j}=1^{k/j}=1[/itex]. But [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex].

I know I've only proven (or tried to) that [itex]n[/itex] is not a multiple of [itex]k[/itex]. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

9. Jan 21, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If n and k are not coprime then there is an s>0 such that n=sn' and k=sk'.

10. Jan 21, 2012 #9
    How about this?

Let [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a primitive n-th root of unity. Then, for [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] s.t. [itex]0<k<n[/itex] ,[itex]z^{n}=1[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Suppose k and n are not coprime. Then, [itex]\exists s\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] s.t. [itex]n=sn'[/itex] and [itex]k=sk'[/itex] for some [itex]k'\in\mathbb{Z},n'\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]. Then, since [itex]z[/itex] is a root of unity, [itex]z=e^{2k\pi i/n}[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}=z^{nk'/n'}=e^{(2\pi ik/n)^{nk'/n'}}=e^{(2\pi ik)k'/n'}=(e^{2\pi i})^{kk'/n'}=1^{kk'/n'}=1[/itex]. But [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Contradiction, so k, n coprime.

11. Jan 21, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That 'proof' should be making you feel at least a little uncomfortable. Pick n=6 and k=2. You are claiming z^2=1? That's not true. Tell me what's wrong with it.

12. Jan 21, 2012 #11
    Do I need to exclude 2 somehow? It seems like 2 is the only prime number where the proof would fail.

13. Jan 21, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick n=15 and k=3. z^3 still isn't 1. Put the numbers in and trace through your steps in the proof. Figure out where something fishy happens.

14. Jan 21, 2012 #13
    Ah, the problem seems to be that I should have [itex]s\neq k [/itex].

15. Jan 21, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are just guessing. Look at this. [itex]e^\frac{2 i \pi}{3}={(e^{2 i \pi})}^\frac{1}{3}=1^\frac{1}{3}=1[/itex]. True or false?

16. Jan 21, 2012 #15

[itex]e^\frac{2 i \pi}{3}\neq{(e^{2 i \pi})}^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]. That was some sloppy algebra on my part -- [itex]x^{2/3}=(x^{2})^{1/3}[/itex] iff [itex]x>0[/itex].

17. Jan 21, 2012 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to be careful. Fractional powers of complex numbers aren't well defined. It's only 'safe' to say (a^b)^c=a^(b*c) if c is an integer. You are throwing fractional powers around in your 'proofs' in a bad way.

18. Jan 21, 2012 #17
    Okay, so going back to [itex]k=sk'[/itex] and [itex]n=sn'[/itex], can I use the fact that for s>1, [itex]n/s \leq n[/itex] but [itex]z^{n/s}=e^{2\pi i(k/s)}=1[/itex]? Or am I still using fractional powers improperly?

19. Jan 21, 2012 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. That's fine. n/s=n' is an integer. So your are allowed to bring that into the power of the exponent. And k/s=k' is an integer. So, sure, you get 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook