Primitive n-th Roots of Unity: Showing e^{i2\pi k/n}

In summary: Do I need to exclude 2 somehow? It seems like 2 is the only prime number where the proof would... break down?In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that primitive nth roots of unity have the form e^{i2\pi k/n} for k\in\mathbb{Z},n\in\mathbb{N}, k and n coprime. The attempt at a solution involves considering the definition of a primitive root and proving that if n and k are not coprime, then z^k = 1, which contradicts the definition of a primitive root. However, there is a flaw in the proof when considering the case of n=6 and k=2
autre

Homework Statement

Show that primitive n-th roots of unity have the form [itex]e^{i2\pi k/n}[/itex] for [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z},n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] coprime.

The attempt at a solution

So the n-th roots of unity [itex]z[/itex] have the property [itex]z^{n}=1[/itex]. I have previously shown that [itex](e^{2\pi ik/n})^{n}=e^{2\pi ik}=(e^{2\pi i})^{k}=1^{k}=1 [/itex]. However, I'm not sure where to start in proving that primitive n-th roots of unity have that property. Any ideas on where I could get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
autre said:

Homework Statement

Show that primitive n-th roots of unity have the form [itex]e^{i2\pi k/n}[/itex] for [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z},n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex], [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] coprime.

The attempt at a solution

So the n-th roots of unity [itex]z[/itex] have the property [itex]z^{n}=1[/itex]. I have previously shown that [itex](e^{2\pi ik/n})^{n}=e^{2\pi ik}=(e^{2\pi i})^{k}=1^{k}=1 [/itex]. However, I'm not sure where to start in proving that primitive n-th roots of unity have that property. Any ideas on where I could get started?

The problem isn't to show that if z is a primitive n-th root of 1 that z^n=1. You know that. A primitive n-th root of 1 is also an n-th root of 1. What's the definition of a primitive root?

Dick said:
The problem isn't to show that if z is a primitive n-th root of 1 that z^n=1. You know that. A primitive n-th root of 1 is also an n-th root of 1. What's the definition of a primitive root?

A primitive n-th root has the smallest such n that z^n = 1. So if k and n aren't coprime then they would have a common factor except 1, because if they did, you could have a smaller n s.t. z^n = 1.

autre said:
A primitive n-th root has the smallest such n that z^n = 1. So if k and n aren't coprime then they would have a common factor except 1, because if they did, you could have a smaller n s.t. z^n = 1.

Well, yes, that's the really sloppy explanation.

Dick said:
Well, yes, that's the really sloppy explanation.

We never covered it in class so I've had to make do with various online sources and have had some difficulty coming up with a formal definition to help me with the proof (though I basically understand what's going on). Do you have a moreformal definition that I could use as a starting point? Thanks!

autre said:
We never covered it in class so I've had to make do with various online sources and have had some difficulty coming up with a formal definition to help me with the proof (though I basically understand what's going on). Do you have a moreformal definition that I could use as a starting point? Thanks!

z is a primitive nth root of unity if [itex]z^n=1[/itex] and [itex]z^k \ne 1[/itex] for [itex]0<k<n[/itex].

How's this for starters?

Let [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a primitive n-th root of unity. Then, for [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] s.t. [itex]0<k<n[/itex] ,[itex]z^{n}=1[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Suppose [itex]n=jk[/itex] for some j[itex]\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Then, since z is a root of unity, [itex]z=e^{2k\pi i/n}[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}=z^{n/j}=e^{(2\pi ik/n)^{n/j}}=e^{(2\pi ik)/j}=(e^{2\pi i})^{k/j}=1^{k/j}=1[/itex]. But [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex].

I know I've only proven (or tried to) that [itex]n[/itex] is not a multiple of [itex]k[/itex]. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

autre said:
How's this for starters?

Let [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a primitive n-th root of unity. Then, for [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] s.t. [itex]0<k<n[/itex] ,[itex]z^{n}=1[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Suppose [itex]n=jk[/itex] for some j[itex]\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Then, since z is a root of unity, [itex]z=e^{2k\pi i/n}[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}=z^{n/j}=e^{(2\pi ik/n)^{n/j}}=e^{(2\pi ik)/j}=(e^{2\pi i})^{k/j}=1^{k/j}=1[/itex]. But [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex].

I know I've only proven (or tried to) that [itex]n[/itex] is not a multiple of [itex]k[/itex]. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

If n and k are not coprime then there is an s>0 such that n=sn' and k=sk'.

Dick said:
If n and k are not coprime then there is an s>0 such that n=sn' and k=sk'.

How about this?

Let [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a primitive n-th root of unity. Then, for [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] s.t. [itex]0<k<n[/itex] ,[itex]z^{n}=1[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Suppose k and n are not coprime. Then, [itex]\exists s\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] s.t. [itex]n=sn'[/itex] and [itex]k=sk'[/itex] for some [itex]k'\in\mathbb{Z},n'\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]. Then, since [itex]z[/itex] is a root of unity, [itex]z=e^{2k\pi i/n}[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}=z^{nk'/n'}=e^{(2\pi ik/n)^{nk'/n'}}=e^{(2\pi ik)k'/n'}=(e^{2\pi i})^{kk'/n'}=1^{kk'/n'}=1[/itex]. But [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Contradiction, so k, n coprime.

autre said:
How about this?

Let [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a primitive n-th root of unity. Then, for [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] s.t. [itex]0<k<n[/itex] ,[itex]z^{n}=1[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Suppose k and n are not coprime. Then, [itex]\exists s\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] s.t. [itex]n=sn'[/itex] and [itex]k=sk'[/itex] for some [itex]k'\in\mathbb{Z},n'\in\mathbb{N}[/itex]. Then, since [itex]z[/itex] is a root of unity, [itex]z=e^{2k\pi i/n}[/itex] and [itex]z^{k}=z^{nk'/n'}=e^{(2\pi ik/n)^{nk'/n'}}=e^{(2\pi ik)k'/n'}=(e^{2\pi i})^{kk'/n'}=1^{kk'/n'}=1[/itex]. But [itex]z^{k}\neq1[/itex]. Contradiction, so k, n coprime.

That 'proof' should be making you feel at least a little uncomfortable. Pick n=6 and k=2. You are claiming z^2=1? That's not true. Tell me what's wrong with it.

Dick said:
That 'proof' should be making you feel at least a little uncomfortable. Pick n=6 and k=2. You are claiming z^2=1? That's not true. Tell me what's wrong with it.

Do I need to exclude 2 somehow? It seems like 2 is the only prime number where the proof would fail.

autre said:
Do I need to exclude 2 somehow? It seems like 2 is the only prime number where the proof would fail.

Pick n=15 and k=3. z^3 still isn't 1. Put the numbers in and trace through your steps in the proof. Figure out where something fishy happens.

Dick said:
Pick n=15 and k=3. z^3 still isn't 1. Put the numbers in and trace through your steps in the proof. Figure out where something fishy happens.

Ah, the problem seems to be that I should have [itex]s\neq k [/itex].

autre said:
Ah, the problem seems to be that I should have [itex]s\neq k [/itex].

You are just guessing. Look at this. [itex]e^\frac{2 i \pi}{3}={(e^{2 i \pi})}^\frac{1}{3}=1^\frac{1}{3}=1[/itex]. True or false?

Dick said:
You are just guessing. Look at this. [itex]e^\frac{2 i \pi}{3}={(e^{2 i \pi})}^\frac{1}{3}=1^\frac{1}{3}=1[/itex]. True or false?

[itex]e^\frac{2 i \pi}{3}\neq{(e^{2 i \pi})}^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]. That was some sloppy algebra on my part -- [itex]x^{2/3}=(x^{2})^{1/3}[/itex] iff [itex]x>0[/itex].

autre said:
[itex]e^\frac{2 i \pi}{3}\neq{(e^{2 i \pi})}^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]. That was some sloppy algebra on my part -- [itex]x^{2/3}=(x^{2})^{1/3}[/itex] iff [itex]x>0[/itex].

You have to be careful. Fractional powers of complex numbers aren't well defined. It's only 'safe' to say (a^b)^c=a^(b*c) if c is an integer. You are throwing fractional powers around in your 'proofs' in a bad way.

Dick said:
You have to be careful. Fractional powers of complex numbers aren't well defined. It's only 'safe' to say (a^b)^c=a^(b*c) if c is an integer. You are throwing fractional powers around in your 'proofs' in a bad way.

Okay, so going back to [itex]k=sk'[/itex] and [itex]n=sn'[/itex], can I use the fact that for s>1, [itex]n/s \leq n[/itex] but [itex]z^{n/s}=e^{2\pi i(k/s)}=1[/itex]? Or am I still using fractional powers improperly?

autre said:
Okay, so going back to [itex]k=sk'[/itex] and [itex]n=sn'[/itex], can I use the fact that for s>1, [itex]n/s \leq n[/itex] but [itex]z^{n/s}=e^{2\pi i(k/s)}=1[/itex]? Or am I still using fractional powers improperly?

No. That's fine. n/s=n' is an integer. So your are allowed to bring that into the power of the exponent. And k/s=k' is an integer. So, sure, you get 1.

What are primitive n-th roots of unity?

Primitive n-th roots of unity are complex numbers that, when raised to the power of n, equal 1. They are also known as the n-th roots of unity or the n-th roots of 1.

What is the significance of e^{i2\pi k/n} in primitive n-th roots of unity?

e^{i2\pi k/n} represents one of the primitive n-th roots of unity. The value of k determines which root it is, ranging from 0 to n-1. This expression is also known as the principal root of unity.

How can I prove that e^{i2\pi k/n} is a primitive n-th root of unity?

To prove that e^{i2\pi k/n} is a primitive n-th root of unity, we need to show that it satisfies two conditions: it is a n-th root of unity, and it is not a m-th root of unity for any m < n. This can be done by raising e^{i2\pi k/n} to the power of n and simplifying the expression.

What is the relationship between primitive n-th roots of unity and the unit circle?

Primitive n-th roots of unity lie on the unit circle in the complex plane. They are equally spaced around the circle, with an angle of 2π/n between each root. This relationship can be visualized by plotting the roots on the unit circle.

How are primitive n-th roots of unity used in mathematics and science?

Primitive n-th roots of unity have many applications in mathematics and science, particularly in fields such as number theory, algebra, and signal processing. They are also used in solving equations, graphing complex functions, and understanding symmetry. In physics, they are important in describing and analyzing periodic phenomena.