Finding the Number of Primitive Polynomials in Finite Fields

In summary: I think so... The main point I see is that if A is a singer cycle, then GF(q)[A] is a finite field with qn elements. If something commutes with A, how does it act on this realization of GF(qn)?I think it's straightforward: if A is a singer cycle, then its action on GF(qn) is to give it the dimensionality of GF(qn).
the_fox
Can anyone tell me how to find the exact number of primitive polynomials of degree n over a finite field F_q? I believe the answer is φ(q^n-1)/n, but I cannot find a proof of this.

Thanx in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your definition of a primitive polynomial of degree n?

It's an irreducible polynomial whose roots generate F_q^n. So for example f(x)=x^4 + x^3 + x^2 +x + 1 in F_16[x] is not primitive (a root c of f(x) has order 5), while g(x)=x^4 + x + 1 is (a root c of g(x) has necessarily order 15).

OK. And do you know how to many generators F_q^n has?

Yeah, φ(q^n-1).

Now put 2 and 2 together. (Some field theory will be helpful.)

Every primitive polynomial produces n distinct roots in the extension field that are primitive elements. Hence #(primitive polynomials)*n=φ(q^n-1). But is this a formal argument? I don't feel so much at ease with field theory..

P.S. 2+2=4

Yes, that's a formal argument, provided you also note that every generator of F_q^n corresponds to a primitive polynomial of degree n in F_q[x] (namely its minimal polynomial).

Allright. So we can say that elements of order q^n-1 in GL(n,q) can be divided in φ(q^n-1) conjugacy classes, to combine results with the Singer cycles thread. What I want to do is find the order of each conjugacy class. Any ideas?

the_fox said:
So we can say that elements of order q^n-1 in GL(n,q) can be divided in φ(q^n-1) conjugacy classes
What's the reasoning behind that?

I'm sorry; I meant φ(q^n-1)/n classes. the companion matrices that correspond to primitive polynomials of degree n have order q^n-1 and Singer cycles that have the same minimal polynomial necessarily lie in the same conjugacy class.

Is that obvious? I mean, there are two notions of 'conjugacy' here: conjugacy in the sense of field theory in F_q^n, and conjugacy in the sense of group theory in GL(n,q). Do they coincide?

I think it becomes obvious if you notice that a Singer cycle cannot have an irreducible polynomial that is not primitive as a minimal polynomial. For example, can f(x)=x^4 + x^3 + x^2 +x + 1 in F_16[x] be the minimal polynomial of a singer cycle in GL(4,2)?

By the way, I think it's true that no element in GL(n,q) has order that exceeds q^n-1. An thoughts on this?

the_fox said:
By the way, I think it's true that no element in GL(n,q) has order that exceeds q^n-1. An thoughts on this?
I think this is proved in the paper I posted in the Singer cycle thread.

I think it becomes obvious if you notice that a Singer cycle cannot have an irreducible polynomial that is not primitive as a minimal polynomial.
True, but how does this relate to conjugacy?

What I mean is, that Singer cycles with the same minimal polynomial belong to the same conjugacy class defined by C(m(x)), the companion matrix of m(x). Assume conjugacy is restricted to the group theoretic sense. For example, all Singer cycles in GL(3,2) belong to either one of the two distinct conjugacy classes defined by companion matrices of the irreducible (and also primitive) polynomials x^3+x^2+1 and x^3+x+1.

I just realized that S. cycles are also self centralizing, but I can't prove it. If I manage to though, I will have a formula for how many there are.

the_fox said:
Let A be an element of GL(n, q).
Let f(x) be the minimal polynomial of A.
Let [itex]f_d(x)[/itex] be the product of all irreducible degree-d factors of f(x).
Note that the [itex]f_d(x)[/itex] are pairwise relatively prime.
Note that [itex]f_d(x)[/itex] divides [itex]x^{q^d - 1} - 1[/itex].
Therefore, f(x) divides the least common multiple of the relevant [itex]x^{q^d - 1} - 1[/itex].
[tex]
\mathop{lcm}\left\{ x^{q^{d_i} - 1} - 1 \right\} = x^{ \mathop{lcm}\{ q^{d_i} - 1 \} }- 1 [/tex]
Since [itex]\sum_i d_i \leq n[/itex], we have that [itex]A^m = I[/itex] for some [itex]0 < m < q^n[/itex].

Last edited:
I've also noticed that s.c. commute only with their powers, i.e., are self centralising. Can we prove that?

Oops.. sorry for the double post.

the_fox said:
I've also noticed that s.c. commute only with their powers, i.e., are self centralising. Can we prove that?
I think so... The main point I see is that if A is a singer cycle, then GF(q)[A] is a finite field with qn elements. If something commutes with A, how does it act on this realization of GF(qn)?

Note also that we have a GF(q)-vector space isomorphism GF(q)n ~= GF(qn). Maybe we need both realizations to prove something? Ideally they should be compatable in some way.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure I understand what you ask. Can you be a little bit more analytic, or perhaps illustrate this with an example?

Let A be the GF(2)-matrix
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 1
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

Then A^2 + A + I = 0, and the ring GF(2)[A] -- the subring of the ring of matrices that is generated by A -- is a finite field with the 4 elements 0, I, A, A^2 (= I + A).

Furthermore, GF(2)[A] is a vector space over GF(2). Construct an isomorphism of GF(2)[A] with GF(2)^2 by selecting the basis (I, A). Note that the "multiplication by A" is a GF(2)-linear transformation of GF(2)[A], and so it has a coordinate representation as a 2x2 matrix. In this example, it miraculously turns out that that matrix is A. (Actually, I selected A specifically so that would happen in this basis)

Is that the part you wanted elaborated? Or is it something else?

Last edited:
A nice example indeed. The part I didn't really get though, was about the action. If an element commutes with A in this example, then what? I assume your selection was motivated by taking the companion matrix of the 2-degree primitive polynomial over GF(2).

The whole reason I'm trying to insert GF(q^n) into the picture is so that we can invoke what we know about linear algebra over that field. In my example, "multiplication by A" is not merely a GF(2)-linear transformation, but also a GF(4)-linear transformation! I think, in general, we can arrange things so that GF(q^n)-linear algebra becomes applicable here.

Yes, I chose the matrix in the way you suggested. Not for any deep reason; just because it's the only way I could quickly produce an example, and it's arithmetically convenient too. Actually, I didn't think of it as the companion matrix -- I was constructing the example in the reverse direction that I gave the exposition: I first chose the realization of GF(4) as a 2-dimensional vector space over GF(2) (with generator satisfying x^2 + x + 1 = 0), and then constructed A as the "multiply by generator" transformation. But it works out the same either way, I suppose.

Last edited:
So how can we get commutativeness into the picture?

What are primitive polynomials in finite fields?

Primitive polynomials in finite fields are polynomials with coefficients in a finite field that generate all the elements of the field when used as exponents in the polynomial. In other words, they are irreducible polynomials that are used to create finite fields.

How do you find the number of primitive polynomials in a finite field?

The number of primitive polynomials in a finite field of order q can be found using the formula: (q^n - 1)/(n), where n is the degree of the polynomial. This formula assumes that the primitive polynomial has only one root in the field.

Why is it important to find the number of primitive polynomials in finite fields?

Finding the number of primitive polynomials in finite fields is important because these polynomials play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics and computer science, such as coding theory, cryptography, and finite geometry. Understanding the properties and number of these polynomials can lead to advancements in these fields.

What methods can be used to find primitive polynomials in finite fields?

There are several methods for finding primitive polynomials in finite fields, such as brute force searching, using the properties of irreducible polynomials, and using the properties of primitive elements in finite fields. Different methods may be more efficient depending on the size of the field and the degree of the polynomial.

Can the number of primitive polynomials in finite fields be calculated for all finite fields?

Yes, the number of primitive polynomials in finite fields can be calculated for all finite fields. However, the formula for calculating this number may vary depending on the size and characteristics of the field. In some cases, the exact number may be difficult to find, but an upper bound can usually be determined.