What are the primitive elements in GF(9)?

In summary, The conversation discusses showing that [x] is a primitive element of the multiplicative group in GF(9). The method proposed is to compute the powers of [x] and see if they are the desired elements. The fact that the same result is not obtained twice confirms that [x] is indeed a primitive element.
Dollydaggerxo

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to show that [tex]\alpha+1[/tex]=[x] is a primitive element of GF(9)= [tex]\mathbb{Z}_3[x]/<x^{2}+x+2>[/tex]
I have already worked out that the function in the < > is irreducible but I do not know where to go from this.

Homework Equations

there are 8 elements in the multiplicative group, what would they be?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess it would be: 0, 2, x+2, what else? I am very unsure how to do this.

please help me would be appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to show that [x] generates the elements of the multiplicative group. The way of doing this is just compute all the powers of [x] and see if they are indeed the elements that you want... So, you'll need to compute [x]0, [x]1, [x]2, [x]3, [x]4, [x]5, [x]6 and [x]7.

brilliant thank you.
how do i show that these elements that i have generated are the actual elements though? or is it enough just to say they are?

and the fact that I haven't got the same result twice from 0 to 7 means that it is primitive?
thanks so much

Dollydaggerxo said:
brilliant thank you.
how do i show that these elements that i have generated are the actual elements though? or is it enough just to say they are?

I don't know what you mean with this? The elements that you generated are the actual elements because [x]n is just n-times multiplication in the group GF(9). So the elements remain in GF(9) and are the actual elements.

I probably misunderstand something...

and the fact that I haven't got the same result twice from 0 to 7 means that it is primitive?

Exactly!

Haha ok just ignore me, i think i get it now anyway. many thanks for your help its much appreciated!

What are primitive polynomials?

Primitive polynomials are polynomials that cannot be factored into simpler polynomials over a specific field. They are used in algebraic coding theory to generate sequences with desirable properties.

Why are primitive polynomials important?

Primitive polynomials are important because they are used in applications such as cryptography, error-correcting codes, and pseudorandom number generators. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

How are primitive polynomials different from irreducible polynomials?

While both primitive and irreducible polynomials cannot be factored into simpler polynomials, the key difference is that primitive polynomials have a root that generates the maximum possible number of elements in a finite field, while irreducible polynomials do not have this property.

How do you find primitive polynomials?

Finding primitive polynomials involves identifying polynomials that are irreducible over a specific field and also have a root that generates the maximum number of elements in that field. This can be done using various algorithms and techniques, such as the Berlekamp's algorithm or the Zassenhaus' algorithm.

What are some applications of primitive polynomials?

Primitive polynomials have various applications, including in cryptography, coding theory, and pseudorandom number generation. They are also used in constructing irreducible polynomials, which are important in fields such as algebraic geometry and number theory.