Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares

In summary: So it is not a primitive root.In summary, if a is a perfect square, then it cannot be a primitive root modulo p (p is an odd prime), according to Artin's conjecture on primitive roots. This is because if a is a perfect square, then it is equivalent to some other number b squared modulo p, and thus cannot generate all elements in the multiplicative group, making it not a primitive root.
setkeroppi
If a is a perfect square then a is not a primitive root modulo p (p is an odd prime). (from Artin's conjecture on primitive roots) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artin's_conjecture_on_primitive_roots

This is what I know: suppose a = b^2
a is a primitive root mod p when , a^(p-1) congruent to 1 (mod p)
that means b^2^(p-1) congruent to 1 (mod p)..,... I got stuck from here. Someone kindly gives me a hint ?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
setkeroppi said:
If a is a perfect square then a is not a primitive root modulo p (p is an odd prime). (from Artin's conjecture on primitive roots) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artin's_conjecture_on_primitive_roots

This is what I know: suppose a = b^2
a is a primitive root mod p when , a^(p-1) congruent to 1 (mod p)
that means b^2^(p-1) congruent to 1 (mod p)..,... I got stuck from here. Someone kindly gives me a hint ?

thank you
Actually the test you give is not correct. The test is that every number [tex]n[/tex] such that [tex]n^{p-1} = 1 \mod p[/tex] must equal some power of [tex]a[/tex] modulus [tex]p[/tex]. In other words if p is prime and a is a primitive root then the set of [tex]a^i \mod p[/tex] equals the congruence set {1,2,3 ... p-1}. But a = b^2 = a primitive root implies b is also a primitive root. Could b and b^2 both be primitive roots?

Last edited:
The matter is easy enough. Every element is such that a^(p-1)==1 Mod p, for p prime.

But to be a primitive root, a must be such that a, a^2, a^3...a^(p-1) all generate
different elements.

However should a ==b^2 Mod p, then a^(p-1)/2 ==b^(p-1) ==1 Mod p. So that a is then capable of generating no more than half the multiplicative group.

What is Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares?

Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares is a mathematical conjecture proposed by Emil Artin in 1927. It states that for any given prime number p, there exists an integer g such that g is a primitive root modulo p and g^2 is also a primitive root modulo p.

Why is Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares important?

If proven true, Artin's Conjecture would have significant implications in number theory and algebraic geometry. It would also provide a deeper understanding of the distribution of primitive roots and perfect squares in the set of residues modulo a prime number.

Has Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares been proven?

No, Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares has not been proven yet. It remains an open problem in mathematics and has been extensively studied by mathematicians for decades.

Are there any known counterexamples to Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares?

No, there have been no known counterexamples to Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares. However, the conjecture has been verified for all prime numbers up to 10^14.

What progress has been made towards proving Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares?

Various partial results have been obtained towards proving Artin's Conjecture on Primitive Roots: Perfect Squares. In 2012, Y. Bugeaud, M. Mignotte, and S. Siksek proved that the conjecture is true for almost all prime numbers. Other approaches and techniques have also been used to make progress towards a proof, but the conjecture remains unsolved.