Primitive roots, specifically of 18

In summary, the conversation is about finding primitive roots of 9 and 3. The speaker has found that the primitive roots of 9 are 2 and 5, but since 2 divides 18, it cannot be a root. They mention a theorem that states if 5 is a primitive root of 3, then it is also a primitive root of 3^k and 2*3^k. The speaker is looking for a more elegant way to find the second primitive root of 18, which they know is 11. They mention using a gcd(a,18) list, but are unsure if that is the correct method. They also mention a conversation in class about this topic, but the teacher did not
abertram28
this problem is annoying. I've found that the primitive roots of 9 are 2 and 5. since 2|18 it can't be a root. i know via some theorems in my book that if 5 is a primitive root of 3, then its a primitive root of 3^k, and also of 2*3^k.

sorry about not using latex, shouldn't need it for this one though, it won't be too messy I am sure.

so the second one, i know i can find by brute force, but id like something more elegant. i know there are only phi of phi of 18, or 2, primitive roots.

i know also by table lookup that the second one of 18 is 11.

do i need to start with the gcd(a,18) list and just eliminate ones until i can't eliminate 11? that doesn't seem right, i remember seeing something in class about this, but the teacher said not to record it in notes because it was in the book, but the book only identifies the one, because i think it is always the smallest. or do i just take 2 mod 9 congruent to 11 mod 9, and that's it? sorry if i just missed something plain as day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bleh, it took a minute to figure out about what you're talking.

Did you notice that 11 is a primitive root of 9? (and of 3)

It seems like you are on the right track in finding the primitive roots of 18. It is true that if a number is a primitive root of a smaller number, it will also be a primitive root of any power of that smaller number. In this case, since 5 is a primitive root of 9, it will also be a primitive root of 18.

To find the second primitive root of 18, you can use the fact that there are only phi(phi(18)) = 2 primitive roots of 18. This means that you can eliminate all the numbers that are not relatively prime to 18 and the remaining numbers will be the primitive roots. So in this case, you can eliminate 2 since it is not relatively prime to 18, leaving only 5 and 11 as the possible primitive roots.

Now, you can use the property that if a number is a primitive root of a prime p, it will also be a primitive root of any multiple of p. Since 5 is a primitive root of 3, it will also be a primitive root of 6 (multiples of 3). Similarly, since 11 is a primitive root of 2, it will also be a primitive root of 12 (multiples of 2).

Therefore, the only possible primitive roots of 18 are 5 and 11. To determine which one is the second primitive root, you can use the fact that if a number is a primitive root of a prime p, it will also be a primitive root of any multiple of p. Since 5 is a primitive root of 3, it will also be a primitive root of any power of 3. This means that 5 will also be a primitive root of 9, 27, 81, etc. However, since we already know that 5 is not a primitive root of 18, we can conclude that 11 must be the second primitive root of 18.

I hope this helps and clarifies your understanding of finding primitive roots of a number. It is a bit of a trial and error process, but using the properties mentioned above can make it more efficient and elegant.

1. What is a primitive root?

A primitive root, also known as a primitive element, is a number that when raised to different powers, can generate all the elements of a finite group. In simpler terms, it is a number that has a unique set of powers that can create all the other numbers in a given group.

2. How do you find primitive roots of a number?

To find primitive roots of a number, you need to calculate the Euler's totient function of that number. The Euler's totient function calculates the number of positive integers that are relatively prime to the given number. Then, you need to find the prime factors of the number and check if they are primitive roots using a mathematical algorithm.

3. Why are primitive roots important?

Primitive roots are important in number theory and cryptography. In number theory, they are used to solve problems related to primitive roots and in cryptography, they are used to generate large prime numbers that are essential for secure encryption and decryption of data.

4. Can a number have more than one primitive root?

Yes, a number can have more than one primitive root. For example, the number 9 has two primitive roots, 2 and 5. This is because both 2 and 5 when raised to different powers, can generate all the elements of the group of integers relatively prime to 9.

5. Are there any patterns in the primitive roots of a number?

Yes, there are patterns in the primitive roots of a number. For example, the primitive roots of any prime number always fall in a specific range of numbers. Also, the number of primitive roots of a given number is always equal to the number of elements in its group of integers relatively prime to that number.