1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primitive Roots

1. Dec 20, 2016 #1
    Hello friends from afar.

I ran into what I felt to be somewhat of an odd question:

Prove that some odd numbers are primitive roots modulo pm for each odd prime p and each positive integer m.

It feels dodgy given that any odd number n = p1p2 ⋅⋅⋅ ps cannot be a primitive root of a prime number involved in its prime factorization. I just needed to be sure. Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The wording is quite disturbing and I stumbled upon the same argument as you. "some odd numbers" looks strange.
    It would make more sense the other way around (or I didn't get the point either):

For each odd prime ##p## and each positive integer ##m## prove that some odd numbers are primitive roots modulo ##p^m.##

4. Dec 20, 2016 #3
    Indeed. I'm guessing yours is how it's done, since it seems like the original could be semantically interpreted like that. Thanks.

5. Dec 20, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In future posts, please don't delete the homework template...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted