RIP Prince: Music Legend Gone Too Soon at Age 57

• Music
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Prince, one of the most popular and influential musicians of the past few decades, has died at the age of 57. His music has been widely mourned, with some of his most popular songs unavailable for streaming due to licensing restrictions.
Science news on Phys.org
Wow. That's a surprise.

OMG RIP :sorry:

Likes vela, Astronuc, gjonesy and 1 other person
I've just woken up, opened Firefox on the desktop and saw on yahoo.co.nz "BREAKING: Music megastar Prince dies, aged 57". I'm like 'what is going on?!'

Oy. :cry:

This is really a sad year for music.

Yeah it is very sad, I got to see him in concert once and even worked security at one of his after parties and met him in person in Greensboro NC back in the 90's.

Music has taken a beating this year as far as loss goes.

Doves are crying. And for licensing reasons you cannot even link to his videos nor to his music.

Minnesota Public Radio is playing his music, all day: The Current

WWGD said:
Doves are crying. And for licensing reasons you cannot even link to his videos nor to his music.

I'll link to this:

I'll also add this:
little_red_corvette.png

That's my little red Corvette.
In requiem: Baby, you died much too fast.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Ouch. This one really hurts.

Just last night I was out on a training walk/hike listening to music. The song playing on my favorite part of the trail: Kiss, by Prince. I thought I was alone out there and I was singing it out loud, and got caught by a couple of women who came around the corner unexpectedly :redface:

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
I just want your extra time and your
:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:
kiss

Likes StatGuy2000, gjonesy and OmCheeto
WWGD said:
For 32.8 cents a day, you can listen to all of his albums: Tidal

Why You Can’t Listen to Prince’s Music...
Prince’s backing of Tidal was deliberate. For all the flak the service has gotten from potential subscribers, he supported its pledge to pay artists for their content. On the day of his death, it’s the only subscription streaming service on which fans can listen to his music.

I think I'll sign up. I've been listening to the feed from the Minnesota NPR station all day. So far, I've not had the desire to push the "skip" button.
I've only ever owned one of his albums, Purple Rain, and would probably enjoy listening to all of his albums.

Likes WWGD
lisab said:

Just last night I was out on a training walk/hike listening to music. The song playing on my favorite part of the trail: Kiss, by Prince. I thought I was alone out there and I was singing it out loud, and got caught by a couple of women who came around the corner unexpectedly :redface:

kiss

Someone posted that to Youtube today.
Watch quick!

Kiss​

Likes DevilsAvocado
Last edited:
Likes Sophia and DevilsAvocado
OmCheeto said:
Someone posted that to Youtube today.
Watch quick!

Kiss​

If it goes away... here's a fairly decent backup:

Wait for the passenger freestyle!

Likes OmCheeto
I was 14 years old and my sister bough me and my brother tickets to see Prince in concert at the Greensboro Coliseum in 1984. I owned 1999 and the Purple rain album. And in 1998 I meet him and was posted as guard over his tour bus, I was somewhat disappointed that I didn't get to actually do security inside the nightclub hosting the after party. But one of my best friends and Captains got to be his personal body guard. He had rented the entire top floor of the club for the party and even opened the bottom part of the club to the public. I never realized how short he was till I was standing a few feet from him. Any way during the after party he threw roses to the crowd below, signed autographs and had security hand them out at the bottom of the staircase.

He was a class act and fan friendly performer.

lisab said:

kiss
It happens.

200_s.gif

Likes OmCheeto

1) Who was Prince and why is his death significant?

Prince, whose real name was Prince Rogers Nelson, was a highly influential and talented musician, singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. He rose to fame in the 1980s with his unique blend of funk, rock, R&B, and pop music. His untimely death at the age of 57 has left a huge impact on the music industry and his fans, as he was considered a legend and icon in the industry.

2) What was the cause of Prince's death?

Prince's cause of death was determined to be an accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl. It was later revealed that he had been struggling with chronic pain for many years, and his death was a result of self-medication.

3) What are some of Prince's most famous songs and albums?

Prince had a long and successful career, with numerous hit songs and albums. Some of his most famous songs include "Purple Rain," "Kiss," "When Doves Cry," and "Raspberry Beret." His most popular albums include "Purple Rain," "Sign o' the Times," and "1999."

4) How did Prince's death affect the music industry?

Prince's death had a huge impact on the music industry, as he was known for his innovative and boundary-pushing music. Many artists and musicians mourned his loss and paid tribute to him through covers of his songs and performances. His death also sparked discussions about the issue of opioid addiction and the need for better resources for mental health and chronic pain management.

5) How is Prince being remembered and honored after his death?

Prince has been remembered and honored in various ways since his death. His music continues to be celebrated and played on radio stations and streaming platforms. There have also been tribute concerts and events held in his honor, and his estate has released previously unreleased music from his vault. Additionally, his hometown of Minneapolis has renamed a street near his former home as "Prince Street" in his memory.