Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Princeton's PEAR lab closing

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.princeton.edu/~paw/archive_new/PAW06-07/04-1108/notebook.html#Notebook8

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this the end of the EGG project?

4. Feb 11, 2007 #3
    A Princeton Lab on ESP Plans to Close Its Doors

Sad times...

[edit by Ivan: Threads merged]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  5. Feb 11, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

“If people don’t believe us after all the results we’ve produced, then they never will.”

What a joke. :rofl:

6. Feb 11, 2007 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yes, the PEAR team should go into the Ghostbusters business. Look how well that turned out in the movie. :rolleyes:

7. Feb 11, 2007 #6
    Here another link:
    I dont understand why people would be embarrassed and outraged over this kind of research.
    Is it just dogmatism or something else?

8. Feb 11, 2007 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Simple. They've had their shot (more than most researchers in this field ever get), and they've gotten next to nothing. Two to three flips in ten thousand trials? You have got to be kidding me. I wonder if they've had a competent statistician vet their data at all.

Enough's enough. If there's a private loon crazy enough to continue funding this sort of thing, then so be it, but now that there isn't, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

9. Feb 11, 2007 #8
    Odd... their conclusion is the opposite to what u claim: that they did find something. And even if they didnt, this still doesnt explain why it embarrasses and outrages people.

U mention loons and crazyness, so the question i asked in my previous post seems to apply to u. Why does this research embarrass/outrage u?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  10. Feb 11, 2007 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So I gather there were no conclusive results from their big bang experiment?

11. Feb 11, 2007 #10
    What big bang experiment?

U can read about results on their website:
    http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/

12. Feb 11, 2007 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This one: http://www.globalorgasm.org, with a nifty video here, http://www.globalorgasm.org/demo.html. Not so much their experiment, but an experiment designed to register on NEAR's EGGs:

We hope that a huge influx of physical, mental and spiritual energy with conscious peaceful intent will not only show up on Princeton’s REGs, but will have profound positive effects that will change the violent state of the human world.

13. Feb 11, 2007 #12
  14. Feb 11, 2007 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, I get all that woo-woo stuff at Princeton (PRINCETON???) confused.

15. Feb 11, 2007 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Princeton didn't fund any of the research, the money was all private donations.

"The laboratory has long had a strained relationship with the university. Many scientists have been openly dismissive of it.

“It’s been an embarrassment to science, and I think an embarrassment for Princeton,” said Robert L. Park, a University of Maryland physicist who is the author of “Voodoo Science: The Road From Foolishness to Fraud.” “Science has a substantial amount of credibility, but this is the kind of thing that squanders it.”

16. Feb 11, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The EGG project sounded interesting, but I don't know if they actually had significant results as is claimed or if this was just a biased interpretation.

No matter the results, as long as the experiments done over the years were reported accurately and the results available for all to scrutinize, then I think they did a service to science. Dishonesty would be the only real sin here.

17. Feb 11, 2007 #16

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is no excuse. I would hope Princeton would not accept any amount of money to fund something incredibly hideous, say the Holocaust Fiction Institute, or incredibly stupid, such as the Hollow Earth Research Center.

Park nailed it. This is not worthy of a supposedly top-tier school. There is a difference between being open-minded and empty-headed. This woo-woo stuff crosses the line.

18. Feb 11, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you are saying that we should only investigate that which you consider to be real? How exactly do you identify the woo-woo line?

19. Feb 12, 2007 #18
    Easy, by investigating.

Oh wait, as soon as u investigate, ur a loon...
    And if u find evidence for something, then its really evidence against it, because ur a loon.

20. Feb 12, 2007 #19

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Based on what they said (that two to three flips/10,000 thing), they found next to nothing, if that. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.

It doesn't. Neither their existence nor their closing their doors outrages me. That's why I said that if there was somebody who wanted to continue funding them, "so be it".

Ah, I consider rich people who throw good money after bad to be loons. PEAR is definitely a black hole for research funds, seeing as they had very little compelling data after nearly thirty years of study.

But nothing about PEAR either embarassed or outraged me. Stop putting words into my mouth.

21. Feb 12, 2007 #20

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I'd say they've had more than their fair shot. Wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

But I could be way off base in my assessments. Please tell us what you find compelling about their data, and why there's really any point to their continuing the same line of inquiry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?