Understanding Impulsive & Non-Impulsive Forces in Linear Momentum

In summary, when applying the principle of linear impulse and momentum, it is important to consider whether the force is impulsive or non-impulsive and to include all forces in the equation, including friction. Momentum is always conserved for any system not subject to an external force, but when friction is present, the momentum change of other objects must also be considered. The integral for Fdt is applicable in both cases, but the specific problem must be analyzed to determine whether it is 0 and momentum is conserved.
tj00343
when applying the principle of linear impulse and momentum , how do I know if the force should be considered impulsive or non-impulsive , how should I know if I should consider it in the equation , I already know that an impulsive force is a force that is applied for a very short time ,but in some problems forces such as the normal force were considered impulsive ,for example , there is one containing a crate where the only forces applied are the weight ,normal force ,and friction and still momentum was not conserved , for example , the princip. of impulse and momentum is m(v1) + ∑ ∫ (F)dt =m(v2)
when do I consider the integral to be 0 and momentum conserved
Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Momentum is always conserved for any system not subject to an external force. Even with friction, momentum is conserved but you have to include the momentum change of everything connected with your system, including possibly the Earth itself!

So if you have a frictionless table with inelastic collisions, momentum is still conserved even though kinetic energy is not, because the lack of friction means no communication with anything beyond the cue balls themselves.

The momentum integral ∫Fdt = Δp is similarly applicable. Again, if there is friction, that means whatever the friction is with must be included in the momentum conservation equation.

I would need a more explicit problem description, for example your "crate" problem, to go any further.

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, taking into account its mass and velocity. It is often referred to as "quantity of motion".

2. What is the difference between impulsive and non-impulsive forces?

Impulsive forces are short-lived forces that act on an object for a very brief period of time, resulting in a sudden change in its momentum. Non-impulsive forces, on the other hand, act over a longer period of time and result in a gradual change in an object's momentum.

3. How do impulsive and non-impulsive forces affect linear momentum?

Impulsive forces cause a sudden change in an object's momentum, while non-impulsive forces cause a gradual change. Both types of forces can either increase or decrease an object's momentum, depending on the direction in which they act.

4. Can impulsive forces cancel each other out?

Yes, impulsive forces can cancel each other out if they act in opposite directions and have equal magnitudes. This results in a net force of zero, and the object's momentum remains unchanged.

5. How is the conservation of linear momentum related to impulsive and non-impulsive forces?

The conservation of linear momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the combined effects of impulsive and non-impulsive forces must result in a net change of zero in the system's momentum.