Principal axis about a sectionHELP

• Thread starter a13x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
Your Name]In summary, you are seeking help with calculating the centroid inclination of the principal axis of a section, the principal 2nd moment of area, and the maximum moment that can be applied to a beam. To do so, you will need to use the formulas θ = tan^-1(Ixy/(Ix-Iy)) for centroid inclination, I1 = (Ix + Iy)/2 + √(((Ix-Iy)/2)^2 + Ixy^2) for principal 2nd moment of area, and My = σmax * I1 for maximum moment. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
a13x
Principal axis about a section... HELP!

Homework Statement

a, Calculate centroid inclination of principal axis of section
b, Now calculate principal 2nd moment of area
c, Cargo nets produce a moment (my) about a section (Y axis only). If max bending at point A cannot exceed 380 N/mm^2, what is max my moment that can be applied to beam?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at this can be seen in the attached jpeg file.
I am not even 100% what I have done so far is on the right track, and how to make the next step. Any help would be really appreciated

thanks in advance

Attachments

• alex Q3 centroid of part.jpeg.jpg
    alex Q3 centroid of part.jpeg.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
!
I understand that you are seeking help with calculating the centroid inclination of the principal axis of a section, as well as the principal 2nd moment of area and the maximum moment that can be applied to a beam. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with this problem.

Firstly, to calculate the centroid inclination of the principal axis, you will need to use the following formula:

θ = tan^-1(Ixy/(Ix-Iy))

Where θ is the centroid inclination, Ixy is the product of inertia, and Ix and Iy are the principal moments of inertia.

Next, to calculate the principal 2nd moment of area, you will need to use the following formula:

I1 = (Ix + Iy)/2 + √(((Ix-Iy)/2)^2 + Ixy^2)

Where I1 is the principal 2nd moment of area.

Finally, to determine the maximum moment that can be applied to the beam, you will need to use the following formula:

My = σmax * I1

Where My is the maximum moment, σmax is the maximum bending stress (380 N/mm^2 in this case), and I1 is the principal 2nd moment of area that you calculated earlier.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

What is a principal axis about a section?

A principal axis about a section is a line that passes through the centroid of a section and divides it into two equal areas. It is an important concept in structural engineering and mechanics as it helps determine the moments of inertia and other properties of a section.

How is a principal axis about a section calculated?

A principal axis about a section can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a section about an axis parallel to its centroidal axis is equal to the sum of the moment of inertia about the centroidal axis and the product of the area and the square of the distance between the two axes.

Why is it important to know the principal axis about a section?

Knowing the principal axis about a section allows engineers to determine the bending and torsional stiffness of a structural member, which is crucial in designing and analyzing structures. It also helps in predicting the behavior of a structure under different loading conditions.

What are the applications of principal axis about a section?

The principal axis about a section is used in various fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is applied in the design of beams, columns, shafts, and other structural elements. It is also used in the analysis of complex structures and in calculating the deflections and stresses of a member.

Can the principal axis about a section change?

Yes, the principal axis about a section can change depending on the orientation and shape of the section. For example, a rectangular section will have its principal axis along its longer side, while a circular section will have its principal axis passing through its center. It is important to consider these changes when analyzing a structure to ensure its stability and safety.