Principal Ideals

• Thread starter playa007
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let I be an ideal of the commutative ring R, and let J = {y in R such that y^2 in I}
a) If R is the polynomial ring Q[x] and I is the principal ideal of R generated by x^4 + x^2, show that J is the principal ideal of R generated by x^3 + x
b) If R is a Principal Ideal Domain, show that J is an ideal of R

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve for part a), I tried to write I = (x^4 + x^2) and (x^3 + x) explicitly and it turned out be long messy polynomial equations and i couldn't really show it rigorously that J = (x^3 + x) is true. For part b), one can take R to be Q[x] since Q[x] is a P.I.D. (since Q is a field), and by a), J must then be an ideal of R.

Any help on part a) particularly and b) would be very much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I used < > isntead of ( ) for denoting ideal generated by since I thought it might be confusing when I'm referring to a polynomial vs. the ideal generated by it

If I = <x4 + x2>... that IS I... what kind of form does "explicitly" take? A generic polynomial is going to be one of the form f(x)(x4 + x2) where f is a polynomial.

A good place to start would be to show <x3 + x> is a subset of J... show x3 + x is in J, then for any polynomial f(x), f(x)*(x3 + x) is contained in J also.

Your answer to (b) is wrong. You can't assume R is a specific principal ideal domain, you have to show that the result holds for any principal ideal domain (for example, what if the domain was Z?)

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Just think of what membership in each ideal implies about what irreducible factors the polynomials must have.

i've solved part b) and one direction of a); precisely the part that <x^3 + x> is contained in J but I have some difficulty proving the other inclusion. This is what I have so far: take any polynomial f in J, so f^2 is in I => so (x^4 + x^2) divides f^2 => x^2 divides f^2 (or even x divides f^2) and (x^2 + 1) divides f^2 but I can't show how to deduce that (x^3 + x) divides f => J is contained in (x^3 + x)

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If x|f*g then x|f or x|g. Doesn't that follow from the irreducibility of x?