Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy

In summary: V = \int_S \mathbf{t '}\cdot dA$$which is exactly the desired result. In summary, you can use the divergence theorem in reverse to show that ##\int \mathbf{\nabla\cdot\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{u}dV = \int \mathbf{t '}\cdot\mathbf{u}dA##.
TheFerruccio

Homework Statement

I am reading through this link:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Elasticity/Principle_of_minimum_complementary_energy

I need to show that a certain thing follows from a previous thing. I will elaborate in the next section.

Homework Equations

I am stuck, specifically, at this point:

"We can also show that
4d52d86fda724c3d5b7869b19290223e.png

Therefore,
d391fb34b032ea2814f98bd2e067b106.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can represent ##\int \mathbf{t '}\cdot\mathbf{u}dA## as ##\int \mathbf{\sigma '\cdot n}\cdot\mathbf{u} dA## and then use divergence theorem to arrive at ##\int\mathbf{\nabla\cdot\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{u}dV##

But, I do not see where to go from here to arrive at where I need to be, the last statement at the end of line (2). Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've been mulling over this for at least 4 hours and I have gotten nowhere with it. The method shown here is one of my many attempts to get to a solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Based on the information you provided, it seems like you are trying to show that ##\int \mathbf{\nabla\cdot\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{u}dV## is equal to ##\int \mathbf{t '}\cdot\mathbf{u}dA##. One possible approach to this problem is to use the divergence theorem again, but this time in reverse. The divergence theorem states that for a vector field ##\mathbf{F}## and a region ##V## bounded by a surface ##S##,

$$\int_V \nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} dV = \int_S \mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{n} dS$$

where ##\mathbf{n}## is the outward unit normal vector to the surface ##S##.

In your case, you can set ##\mathbf{F} = \mathbf{\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{u}## and ##V## to be the entire volume bounded by your surface of interest. Then, using the divergence theorem, you can rewrite the integral as:

$$\int_V \nabla \cdot (\mathbf{\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{u}) dV = \int_S (\mathbf{\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{u}) \cdot \mathbf{n} dS$$

Now, since ##\mathbf{u}## and ##\mathbf{n}## are both unit vectors, we can write ##\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{n} = cos(\theta)##, where ##\theta## is the angle between them. Also, note that ##\mathbf{\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{n} = \mathbf{t '}##, as you have already mentioned. Therefore, the integral becomes:

$$\int_V \nabla \cdot (\mathbf{\sigma '}\cdot\mathbf{u}) dV = \int_S \mathbf{t '}\cdot cos(\theta) dS$$

Now, recall that ##dS = dA cos(\theta)##, where ##dA## is the differential area of the surface. Substituting this into our equation, we get:

$$\int_V \nabla \cdot (\mathbf{\sigma '}\cdot\

1. What is the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy?

The Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy is a fundamental concept in mechanics that states that the total energy in a system must be minimized in order for the system to reach a state of equilibrium.

2. How is the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy applied in engineering?

In engineering, the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy is used to analyze the stability and strength of structures by finding the minimum potential energy state of the structure.

3. What is the relationship between the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy and the Principle of Virtual Work?

The Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy is closely related to the Principle of Virtual Work, which states that the work done by the internal and external forces in a system must be equal at equilibrium. Both principles are used in the analysis of structures and systems in mechanics.

4. Can the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy can be applied to all types of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and thermal systems. It is a universal concept that is used in many fields of science and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to the application of the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy?

One limitation of the Principal of Minimum Complementary Energy is that it assumes a linear relationship between the forces and displacements in a system. This means that it may not be applicable to highly non-linear systems. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of damping or energy dissipation in a system.