1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principal stresses help ?

1. May 12, 2007 #1
    Principal stresses help plz?

I am looking through past paper examinations and have come a across a question:

At a certain critical point in a stressed component, calculations show that the stresses are sigma(x) = 220MPa sigma(y) = -95MPa and shear = 60MPa

Find the maximum and minimum direct stresses (principal stresses) in the component at that point?

How do i go about this problem?

Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Well, do you know any related formulae? To be more specific, there is exactly one formula you need to apply.

4. May 12, 2007 #3
    Ah yes i think I have a solution to this problem now using the general formula for plane stresses.

There is a second part to the question where it now asks to find the angle which the maximum stresses make with the direction sigma(x)?

Does this involve the 2D Mohr Circle?

5. May 12, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

You can simply use tg(2A) = Txy / (Nx - Ny), where A is the angle of the principal stress, Nx and Ny are normal stresses and Txy is the shear stress.

Have on mind that tg2(A + Pi/2) = tg(2A).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?