Principle of Equivalence and Acceleration in Deep Space

In summary, the principle of equivalence states that a person in a window-less box cannot distinguish between being in a stationary box on Earth or an accelerating box in deep space. This also applies to the acceleration of a rocket at 9.8 m/s^2. The principle does not consider extreme cases such as reaching the speed of light, as it is intended to be applied to experimental tests conducted within the box. In relativistic mechanics, the speed of the box to an outside observer asymptotically approaches the speed of light.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

I know that the principle of equivalence states that a person in a window-less box will not be able to tell if s(he) is in a stationary box on Earth or in a box that is accelerating upward at a constant rate. I am assuming that the acceleration of the rocket is 9.8 m/s^2

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don't understand is that for the box accelerating at a constant rate (in deep space), it will eventually reach the speed of light. Therefore, the principle of equivalence doesn't seem to work because eventually the person in the box will stop accelerating (and therefore be weightless). If my logic is wrong, please correct me, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. The Equivalence Principle isn't about indefinite eventualities, it's about whether or not the two cases can be distinguished in principle by experimental tests conducted within the elevators.

2. No matter how long the elevator on the rocket continues, its occupant will still experience the same acceleration regardless of what another outside observer sees. Time, clocks, mass, etc., don't change for the occupant from his own point of view. And he has no view of the outside word so he has nothing to compare his state of motion (or lack thereof) to.

Calpalned said:
What I don't understand is that for the box accelerating at a constant rate (in deep space), it will eventually reach the speed of light. Therefore, the principle of equivalence doesn't seem to work because eventually the person in the box will stop accelerating (and therefore be weightless). If my logic is wrong, please correct me, thanks

No, it would not. Nothing with mass ever reaches the speed of light, even if you keep accelerating it and in any case that really isn't relevant to the equivalence principle which is not intended to be taken to boundary value cases.

EDIT: I see gneil beat me to it.

Thanks gneill and phinds

Just to complete with how an inertial observer outside the box would see it: the box would always be accelerating, but acceleration in the observer's frame would be decreasing such that the box never reaches the speed of light. This does not mean the acceleration felt by the occupant of the box is less. Accelerations, just like velocities, are observer dependent.

Calpalned said:
You seem to be using Newtonian mechanics where the speed of the box can steadily increase without bound. In relativistic mechanics, you find the speed of the box (to the outside observer) asymptotically approaches the speed of light.

Thanks everyone, now I understand

What is the Principle of Equivalence?

The Principle of Equivalence is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the effects of gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable. This means that an observer in a gravitational field will experience the same effects as an observer in an accelerating frame of reference.

Who first proposed the Principle of Equivalence?

The Principle of Equivalence was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of General Relativity in 1915.

What is the significance of the Principle of Equivalence?

The Principle of Equivalence is significant because it paved the way for Einstein's theory of General Relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.

How is the Principle of Equivalence tested?

The Principle of Equivalence can be tested through various experiments, such as the famous Eötvös experiment which compared the acceleration of different masses in a gravitational field, and by measuring the deflection of light near massive objects.

Does the Principle of Equivalence have any real-world applications?

Yes, the Principle of Equivalence has many real-world applications, such as in the development of GPS technology and in understanding the behavior of objects in space, where gravitational forces are dominant.