How Does the Principle of Extremal Aging Determine the Path of a Free Object?

In summary, the principle of extremal proper time, analogous to the principle of least action in Newtonian mechanics, states that the path of a free object is the one that maximizes proper time, which corresponds to an object moving inertially without any outside forces acting on it. This principle has been extensively used by John Archibald Wheeler in his exploration of black holes and is applicable in both general and special relativity. There is limited information on this principle, as experts prefer to refer to it as extremum aging rather than maximum aging, as it can refer to both minimum and maximum aging.
dpa
i posted this in general forum. That might be wrong. So moderators, delete that not this.
Q.
why/how extremum time lapse
between two events recorded on
object's wristwatch gives the
path of a free object.

And any examples of minimum
aging.

Physics news on Phys.org
I, for one, have no idea what you are asking. The closer to the speed of light something is moving, relative to me, the slower I will see it aging. There is no "minimum aging".

HallsofIvy said:
I, for one, have no idea what you are asking. The closer to the speed of light something is moving, relative to me, the slower I will see it aging. There is no "minimum aging".

It's not minimum aging, but rather maximum. He's talking about the principle of extremal proper time. It's an analog to the principle of least action from Newtonian mechanics.

yes, may be because its a principle used mainly by john archibald wheeler and only few others and he has used the concept extensively in exploring black holes and is applicable both to GR and SR. You might want to google but there is limited info.

Last edited:
elfmotat,
wheeler writes experts prefer extremum aging not maximum aging coz there can be both minimum and maximum aging.

dpa said:
Q.
why/how extremum time lapse between two events recorded on object's wristwatch gives the path of a free object. And any examples of minimum aging.

It's a principle, meaning it doesn't need an explanation. It is, however, easy to get an intuitive feel for it. Say, for simplicity, that we're working in flat Minkowski space. The proper time of an object traversing some worldline is given by dτ2=dt2-dr2, where dr2=dx2+dy2+dz2. The path that maximizes this is of the form r(λ)=kλ for some constant k and affine parameter λ. This corresponds to an inertially moving object, which is indeed the state of an object which isn't acted upon by outside forces.

Last edited:

What is the principle of extremal aging?

The principle of extremal aging is a scientific theory that suggests that living organisms have a limited lifespan and that this lifespan is determined by the optimization of resources and energy. This principle posits that organisms evolve to reach a peak of fitness and then decline with age.

How does the principle of extremal aging apply to humans?

The principle of extremal aging suggests that humans, like other living organisms, have a limited lifespan that is optimized for resource allocation and energy expenditure. This theory explains why humans tend to experience a decline in physical and cognitive abilities as they age.

What evidence supports the principle of extremal aging?

Studies on various organisms, including humans, have shown that there is a common pattern of aging across species. This pattern includes a decline in physical and cognitive abilities with age, as well as a decrease in reproductive capacity. Additionally, mathematical models have been developed to support the idea of aging as an optimization process.

Does the principle of extremal aging apply to all organisms?

While the principle of extremal aging has been observed in many different species, there are exceptions. Some organisms, such as certain types of bacteria, may not experience the same decline with age. This is because they have different reproductive strategies and life cycles that do not follow the same patterns as other organisms.

How can the principle of extremal aging be applied in practical ways?

Understanding the principle of extremal aging can help us make better decisions about health and wellness. By recognizing that our bodies have a limited lifespan and that aging is an optimization process, we can prioritize healthy behaviors and lifestyle choices that can help us reach our peak of fitness and maintain it for as long as possible.