Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principle of extremal aging

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1

dpa

i posted this in general forum. That might be wrong. So moderators, delete that not this.
    Q.
    why/how extremum time lapse
    between two events recorded on
    object's wristwatch gives the
    path of a free object.

And any examples of minimum
    aging.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I, for one, have no idea what you are asking. The closer to the speed of light something is moving, relative to me, the slower I will see it aging. There is no "minimum aging".

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3
    It's not minimum aging, but rather maximum. He's talking about the principle of extremal proper time. It's an analog to the principle of least action from Newtonian mechanics.

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4

dpa

yes, may be because its a principle used mainly by john archibald wheeler and only few others and he has used the concept extensively in exploring blackholes and is applicable both to GR and SR. You might want to google but there is limited info.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. Feb 2, 2012 #5

dpa

elfmotat,
    wheeler writes experts prefer extremum aging not maximum aging coz there can be both minimum and maximum aging.

7. Feb 2, 2012 #6
    It's a principle, meaning it doesn't need an explanation. It is, however, easy to get an intuitive feel for it. Say, for simplicity, that we're working in flat Minkowski space. The proper time of an object traversing some worldline is given by dτ2=dt2-dr2, where dr2=dx2+dy2+dz2. The path that maximizes this is of the form r(λ)=kλ for some constant k and affine parameter λ. This corresponds to an inertially moving object, which is indeed the state of an object which isn't acted upon by outside forces.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook