How can I make a manual hydraulic log splitter using a lever?

In summary, the conversation is about making a project on a hydraulic manual log splitter and the lack of knowledge about hydraulic principles and components. The participants are seeking tutorials and assistance on how to make a hand or foot operated log splitter using levers and how to change the direction of motion of the piston. They discuss the use of force and area calculations in hydraulic systems and the application of the Pascal law. They also mention other components such as the hydraulic ram, pump, and flow diverter flow.
anonymoussome
We are thinking of making a project on Hydraulic manual log splitter.

But the problem is we don't know much about hydraulic principles and stuff...
could somebody provide me with the link of complete tutorial for manual hydraulic machines.

We wish to make it hand or foot operated using lever...but how to do that we have many doubts.

Help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I hope you are tying to split small logs. My purchased log splitter uses upwards of 20 tons of force to split logs.

Anyways, you can just look at simple force vs area calculations.

For example,

Pressure = force/area

Say you have a 3 inch diameter piston and you are planning to move a 3 inch diameter piston by providing force on the 1 inch diameter piston.

The area of the 1 inch piston is simply (1^2*(3.141592))/4 = 0.7854 square inches.

In a similar fashion the 3 inch piston is 7.0686 square inches.

Now with a force on the 1 inch piston of 10 lbs will create a pressure of 12.73 psi.

Using a simple ratio of pressure on the 1 inch piston to the 3 inch piston the resulting force on the 3 inch pistion is 90 lbs. That is 9 times higher then the initial force of 10 lbs on the 1 inch piston.

Another example, is a car jack. You provide a small force on the small piston and the larger piston provides a large force that easily lifts the car upwards.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Matt

I know the Pascal law...I want to know how hydraulics work and how to change the direction of motion

Like I am pulling the lever and the piston is moving forward. How to realize that?

So you are looking for information on the hydaulic ram, pump, flow diverter flow, and other log splitter components?

Thanks
Matt

yes sir I am looking for this info.

1. What is the principle of hydraulics?

The principle of hydraulics is the study of how liquids, particularly water, behave when under pressure. It is based on the physical laws of fluid mechanics and is used in a wide range of applications, from engineering and construction to transportation and industrial processes.

2. How does hydraulics work?

Hydraulics works on the principle that when force is applied to a confined liquid, it will transmit that force equally in all directions. This is known as Pascal's Law. By using a pump or other mechanism to apply pressure to the liquid, it can be used to do work, such as lifting heavy objects or powering machinery.

3. What are the main components of a hydraulic system?

A hydraulic system typically consists of a reservoir, pump, valves, actuators, and fluid. The reservoir holds the hydraulic fluid, which is usually oil, and the pump is responsible for pressurizing the fluid. Valves control the flow of the fluid, and actuators, such as cylinders or motors, use the pressurized fluid to do work.

4. What are the advantages of using hydraulics?

Hydraulics offer several advantages, including high power density, meaning they can provide a lot of force in a small package, and precise control over the amount of force being applied. They are also very reliable and can operate in extreme conditions, such as high temperatures and heavy loads.

5. What are some common applications of hydraulics?

Hydraulics are used in a variety of industries and applications, such as construction equipment, automotive brakes and steering systems, aircraft control systems, and industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in hydraulic lifts, cranes, and presses, as well as in hydraulic power systems for dams and other large structures.