Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion Help

• Thread starter ilml
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, according to the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion, in a group of 100 students who took SAT II's in Chinese, English, and Math, the smallest number of students who took all three exams is 20. This can be determined by finding the minimum number of students who did not take any of the exams, which is 80, and subtracting it from the total number of students, resulting in 20 students who took all three exams.
ilml
Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion Help!

Hey! I came upon this problem and I have been intrigued since...it deals with the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion (PIE):

A group of 100 students took SAT II's in Chinese, English, and Math. Among them, 90 took Chinese, 70 took English, and 60 took Math. What is the smallest number of students who took all three exams?

Ive been stumped because I don't know how to minimize the amount of students taking all three exams...especially since I am not given anything else (like the amount of students who took two of the exams etc). Help please! :biggrin: thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...just taking an intuitive guess here:

If there are only 100 students and 220 tests were taken:

It is not possible that every person only took one test, because 220 tests > 100 tests taken in this case.
It is not possible that every person only took two tests, because 220 tests > 200 tests taken in this case.
There are still 20 tests yet to be taken, so at the very least (assuming that every other person took two tests), 20 students took all three tests.

Probably not right though...

If we let C E and M be the sets of those taking Chinese, English and Mathematics resp, then, if u means union and n intersection

100=|CuEuM| = |C|+|E|+|M| -|CnE|-|CnM|- |MnE| +|CnMnE|

you know |C| |E| and |M| and you can thus express the quantity you want in terms of |CnE|, |CnM| and |MnE|

and you can minimize those quite easily

Caldus said:
Probably not right though...

i don't see how that could be wrong :/

ohh thanks Matt...wait I am confused..how do I express |CnMnE| in terms of |CnE|, |CnM| and |MnE|...?

thanks everyone~

just rearrange the formula

|CnE|+|CnM|+|EnM| = 120 +|CnMnE|

the thing on the right is what we want to "minimize"

now for example, 90 took chinese 70 took english, then it follows that of the 100, at least 60 took both so |CnE| is at least 60...

This is how I (layman) would have tackled the problem.

10 didn't take Chinese. 30 didn't take English. 40 didn't take Math. This totals 80, which is the maximum number of students that didn't take some SAT. Therefore at least 20 took all three.

What is the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion?

The Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion is a counting technique used to calculate the size of a set that is a union of other sets. It takes into account the overlap between the sets in order to avoid double counting.

How is the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion used?

The Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion is used in combinatorics and probability to calculate the number of outcomes satisfying certain conditions. It is also used in set theory to determine the size of a set that is a union of other sets.

What is the formula for the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion?

The formula for the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion is: |A∪B∪C| = |A| + |B| + |C| - |A∩B| - |A∩C| - |B∩C| + |A∩B∩C|, where |A| represents the size of set A.

How do you use the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion with more than three sets?

To use the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion with more than three sets, you simply add or subtract the sizes of the intersections of the sets as appropriate. For example, to calculate the size of the union of four sets, you would use the formula: |A∪B∪C∪D| = |A| + |B| + |C| + |D| - |A∩B| - |A∩C| - |A∩D| - |B∩C| - |B∩D| - |C∩D| + |A∩B∩C| + |A∩B∩D| + |A∩C∩D| + |B∩C∩D| - |A∩B∩C∩D|.

What are some real-world applications of the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion?

The Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion can be applied to a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the number of ways to win a game of bingo or the number of possible outcomes in a game of chance. It can also be used in genetics to determine the likelihood of certain genetic traits being inherited from multiple parents.