Solving Principle of Moments: F1 & F2

In summary, the conversation discusses using the principle of moments to solve for two unknown forces, F1 and F2. The first method used is taking moments about point A to find F2, and the second method is taking moments about point B to find F1. The correct equation for summing moments is also mentioned.
Cain
Hello,
This is probably really simple but i don't know if this is the right way to work out the answer
i have attached an image containing the problem.

I know how to get F2 :
Taking moments about A:
F2 Cos 60 = 1500
F2 = 3000N

But then it says to find F1 using the principle of moments, and the only way i can get the answer is:
taking moments about B: (F1 x 1.5) = (1500 x 2.5)
F1 = (1500 x 2.5) / 1.5
F1 = 2500N

is this right?

Thanks alot
Cain

Attachments

• moments.JPG
    moments.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can check your answer by just using trig like you did earlier.
[tex]F_1 = F_{2}*cos(30) = 1500*sqrt{3}[/tex]

You fell into the unfortunate trap of notation. The definition of a moment is that M = B x r, which shows us that the moment is the cross product of the vector and the scalar where the vector is applied. You should go back and nail down the concept of moments, then try the problem out again.

Your original equation is not right.

To sum moments, you need a force AND a distance, i.e. F2 (cos 60) * 1.5 = 1500 * 2.5.

1. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that in order for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments.

2. What are F1 and F2 in the principle of moments?

F1 and F2 are two forces acting on an object that are used to calculate the moments in the principle of moments. F1 is the force acting in the clockwise direction and F2 is the force acting in the counterclockwise direction.

3. How do you calculate the moments in the principle of moments?

The moment of a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot point. The total moment can be calculated by summing the moments of all the forces acting on the object.

4. What does it mean for an object to be in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium when it is not accelerating and the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

5. How is the principle of moments used in real-life applications?

The principle of moments is used in various real-life applications, such as in engineering and construction. It is used to calculate the stability and balance of structures and machines, and to determine the distribution of weight and forces in different systems.