1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principle of Moments

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the tension in the rope, T, in the diagram below: http://imageshack.com/a/img905/2848/yMC01l.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The 'beam' is a stable structure, thus the resultant forces be equal that are acting upon the beam. So,
    I calculated the the Torque from the mass as being 150N * 0.6m + 100N * 0.3m = 110 Nm, setting this equal to the Torque generated by the 'force line' from the rope, T*1.2m = 110Nm, thus T rounded to the nearest Newton is = 92N. I Felt fairly confident with this until my textbook said the tension in the rope is = to 100N. Can anybody clear this up for me and explain where I went wrong, Thanks!.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check your arithmetic, that's "the usual suspect."

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    Ah, thank you. I did not spot that mistake, sorry for wasting your time. Not a great first post on my part o:)

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do not let it ruin your day --- we've all been there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted