1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principle of Pendulum

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1
    In the equation to find out the period of the pendulum (T=k*square root of l) they give me the length (l),or period (T) but no proportionality constant (k). Without the proportionality constant I cannot figure out the equation.

So what I'm asking for is the proportionality constant for this equation.
    Thank you. :cool: :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

Aside from the issue of what k is, I find it bizarre to see the square root of length in your formula. I think what goes in the square root is going to turn out to have units of time squared. For instance, maybe l/g, which has units of time squared, since l is length and acceleration of gravity g has units of length/time^2.

4. Apr 5, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps you are looking for the equation for the period of a simple pendulum:
    [tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt \frac{l}{g} [/tex]

5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
    Yes thats probibly what I'm looking at thank you. :rolleyes:

6. Apr 6, 2004 #5

krab

Science Advisor

There's nothing wrong with saying [itex]T= k\sqrt{L}[/itex]. It just means that k has units of time per root length. It reminds me of the first experiment I did in highschool: measure the pendulum period as a function of length. I found T in seconds is about 0.32 times the square root of length when length measured in inches. This was all I could conclude: I had no way of finding the dependence of T on gravity, since of course I could not vary it.

7. Apr 6, 2004 #6

Janitor

Science Advisor

"There's nothing wrong with saying..."

Fair enough. In situations where the pendulum is hanging from a point fixed in a gravitational field at a particular value of g, there is no harm in absorbing the reciprocal square root of g into your k constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?