Principle of relativity for proper accelerating frame of reference

In summary: No, what I'm saying is that, under the same circumstances, the laws of physics in the two frames will be the same.No, what I'm saying is that, under the same circumstances, the laws of physics in the two frames will be the same.
cianfa72 said:
So, the adjustment sent from the first clock (rear clock in the case at hand) is employed by the distant clock (front clock) just to 'set' accordingly its time reading without making any rate adjustment (clock rate adjustment, if any, is really a separate matter).
Correct.
cianfa72 said:
For example in the Minkowski global inertial frame the sound wave propagation is anisotropic while light propagation is defined to be isotropic in that frame.

Does it make sense ?

Sorry to point out all this things, but it is really important for me to get a clear understanding :wink: Thanks.
No, in a Minkowski global inertial frame, sound propagation would be isotropic and would produce identical synchronization as light as long as there is no wind in this frame (I.e. the clocks don’t experience any wind). If the air is moving relative to the clocks, that produces anisotropy, and the sound would produce different synchronization than light (idealizing that air does not have any refractive index).

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
PAllen said:
No, in a Minkowski global inertial frame, sound propagation would be isotropic and would produce identical synchronization as light as long as there is no wind in this frame (I.e. the clocks don’t experience any wind). If the air is moving relative to the clocks, that produces anisotropy, and the sound would produce different synchronization than light (idealizing that air does not have any refractive index).

So which are the inertial frames (see below -- bold is mine) you were talking about in your previous post ? The proper acceleration of the air in the rocket amounts to a coordinate acceleration w.r.t. the Minkowski global inertial frame, I believe.
PAllen said:
Then because sound wave transmission in the accelerating rocket is anisotropic in any inertial frame (due to the proper acceleration of the air), while light travel is defined to be isotropic in such a frame, different events are paired as simultaneous by sound as compared to light; and this has nothing to do with different tick rates due to gravitational time dilation.

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
So which are the inertial frames (bold is mine) you were talking about in your previous post (see below) ? The proper acceleration of the air in the rocket amounts to a coordinate acceleration w.r.t. the Minkowski global inertial frame, I believe.
I don’t see any inconsistency. In SR, there is only one meaning for standard global inertial frame. In one statement I am talking about anisotropy of sound propagation in an inertial frame in which a body of air has some speed. In the other, I note that air carried by a rocket has proper acceleration in any inertial frame, and thus sound propagation will be anisotropic in any inertial frame. Finally, in an inertial frame in which the air is stationary, sound propagation is isotropic and produces the same synchronization as light. What is it that is confusing you?

Likes cianfa72
PAllen said:
I don’t see any inconsistency. In SR, there is only one meaning for standard global inertial frame.
Sorry, the confusion is mine since I'm not an expert :rolleyes: About the definition in SR, yes, that is the definition of Minkowski global inertial frame.

PAllen said:
In the other, I note that air carried by a rocket has proper acceleration in any inertial frame, and thus sound propagation will be anisotropic in any inertial frame.
Maybe I was unclear...I was saying that 'any inertial frame' just means 'any of the Minkowski global inertial frames related each other by a Lorentz transformation'.

PAllen said:
Finally, in an inertial frame in which the air is stationary, sound propagation is isotropic and produces the same synchronization as light.
Surely, got it.

cianfa72 said:
Maybe I was unclear...I was saying that 'any inertial frame' just means 'any of the Minkowski global inertial frames related each other by a Lorentz transformation'.
Yes.

Likes cianfa72