Is superposition a valid assumption in classical systems?

In summary: This means that when we do a superposition, the outcome is not always the same as the original inputs. In summary, in classical systems in nature, superposition does not always hold. This is why Merzbacher refers to it as a mathematical assumption.
elduderino
I was reading Merzbacher and it is written that it is a fundamental mathematical assumption. I was doubting if it is an assumption at all.

We get the principle of superposition when we solve certain kinds of differential equations (second order, first degree or linear) where we get as solutions linearly independent functions which span the functional basis [tex]\{ \sin x,\cos x \} [/tex] or [tex] \{ e^{ix}, e^{-ix} \} [/tex]. It is by nature of these solutions that the entire basis can be spanned, and by the linear nature of the differential equations that any linear combination of this basis set can be represented as a solution.

Why does Merzbacher still call it a mathematical assumption? Where am I wrong in my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
My view on this topic is that <linearity> is a fundamental assumption of a mathematical and physical nature. Denying it means rejecting all other postulates and replacing everything with new mathematical equations. Schroedinger's equation would have to be replaced.

A consequence of the Hamiltonian operator being linear on a Hilbert space is that the linear combination of the solutions to S.E. is also a solution. Linearity is postulated and stems from every assumption.

In quantum mechanics, the principle of superposition is of central importance. Dirac says, it requires us to assume that between states of a system there exists peculiar relationships such that whenever the system is definitely in one state we can consider it as being partly in each of two or more other states. The origin state must be regarded as the result of a kind of superposition of the two or more new states, in a way that cannot be conceived on classical ideas. Any states may be considered as the result of a infinite number of two or more states, and indeed in an infinite number of ways. Conversely any two or more states may be superposed to give a new state.

elduderino said:
I was reading Merzbacher and it is written that it is a fundamental mathematical assumption. I was doubting if it is an assumption at all.

We get the principle of superposition when we solve certain kinds of differential equations (second order, first degree or linear) where we get as solutions linearly independent functions which span the functional basis [tex]\{ \sin x,\cos x \} [/tex] or [tex] \{ e^{ix}, e^{-ix} \} [/tex]. It is by nature of these solutions that the entire basis can be spanned, and by the linear nature of the differential equations that any linear combination of this basis set can be represented as a solution.

Why does Merzbacher still call it a mathematical assumption? Where am I wrong in my understanding.

In classical systems in nature, superposition does not hold in general. Let's say you have two inputs (x1 and x2) to a system (the weather or a brain, for instance). The system does some analysis or transformation (T) on the input and gives an output for each (y1 and y2).

When superposition holds:

T(x1 + x2) = T(x1) + T(x2) = y1 + y2

but in general, you can't assume that, because of the way information propagates through physical systems (at the classical level). x1 and x2 interact with each other. They can amplify or dampen each other, so they don't exist as simple superpositions, easy to separate: they are couped together and thus:

T(x1 + x2) != T(x1) + T(x2)

instead:

T(x1 + x2) = y3

(y3 is a solution that usually has to be found numerically, since analytical solutions seldom exist for such systems).

What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that in a sequence of layered rocks or sediments, the oldest layer is at the bottom and the youngest layer is at the top.

How is the principle of superposition used in geology?

The principle of superposition is used by geologists to determine the relative ages of rocks and sedimentary layers. By understanding the order in which layers were deposited, they can reconstruct the history of a particular area.

What is the difference between relative and absolute dating?

Relative dating uses the principle of superposition to determine the relative ages of rocks and sedimentary layers. Absolute dating, on the other hand, uses techniques such as radiometric dating to determine the actual age of a rock or fossil.

What are some limitations of using the principle of superposition?

One limitation of the principle of superposition is that it can only be applied to sedimentary rocks and layers. It also assumes that the layers have not been disturbed or overturned since their formation.

How does the principle of superposition support the theory of evolution?

The principle of superposition is a key concept in the study of evolutionary history. By examining the relative ages of different sedimentary layers, scientists can determine the order in which different organisms lived and how they evolved over time.