Principle of Work and Energy

In summary, the problem involves determining the velocity of a 60- block A released from rest, while a 40- block B moves 0.6 up the inclined plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction between both blocks and the inclined planes is = 0.05. The diagram and equations are given, including the length equation and the change in height as block A falls. The normal force and friction force acting on block A are calculated, but it is unclear how to incorporate these into the equation. The use of kinetic energy, work, and potential energy is mentioned, but the tension force in the string is not considered. The solution may involve considering the global ideas of work and energy, such as the loss of gravitational potential energy
Peter P.

Homework Statement

Determine the velocity of the 60- block A if the two blocks are released from rest and the 40- block B moves 0.6 up the in cline. The coefficient of kinetic friction between both blocks and the inclined planes is = 0.05.

Here is the given diagram:
Prob.14-13.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is a pulley system, I began with the length equation so that i can determine the displacement of A with respect to B.

ΔsA = -0.5ΔsB
Once everything is plugged in, ΔsA = -0.3 (or just 0.3m down along its plane).
Using this, i calculated the change in height as it falls from the top to the next position. Δh = 0.2598076211 m. Then i calculated the normal force exerted by the plane and the force of friction acting on the block A (Ff = 14.715 N (directed towards the pulley system). So here's the part that i don't get. I am not sure how to tie everything together. I know that:
Kinetic Energy (T), Work and potential Energy (U)
T1 + U1 -> 2 = T2
0.5mAv12 + U1 -> 2 = 0.5mAv22

From the free body diagram of the isolated mass A, i know that there is a normal force, the weight of the block, and a friction force acting on it. So from this information, I believe that there should be gravitation potential energy (VG = mgΔh), and i feel like the friction force needs to be included as well. So i would integrate the force i calculated, with respect to s (∫Ff ds). Then i feel like it should be integrated from 0 -> 0.3. Is this correct so far?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter P. said:

Homework Statement

Determine the velocity of the 60- block A if the two blocks are released from rest and the 40- block B moves 0.6 up the in cline. The coefficient of kinetic friction between both blocks and the inclined planes is = 0.05.

Here is the given diagram:
Prob.14-13.jpg

Since there is a pulley system, I began with the length equation so that i can determine the displacement of A with respect to B.

ΔsA = -0.5ΔsB
Once everything is plugged in, ΔsA = -0.3 (or just 0.3m down along its plane).
Using this, i calculated the change in height as it falls from the top to the next position. Δh = 0.2598076211 m. Then i calculated the normal force exerted by the plane and the force of friction acting on the block A (Ff = 14.715 N (directed towards the pulley system). So here's the part that i don't get. I am not sure how to tie everything together. I know that:
Kinetic Energy (T), Work and potential Energy (U)
T1 + U1 -> 2 = T2
0.5mAv12 + U1 -> 2 = 0.5mAv22

From the free body diagram of the isolated mass A, i know that there is a normal force, the weight of the block, and a friction force acting on it. So from this information, I believe that there should be gravitation potential energy (VG = mgΔh), and i feel like the friction force needs to be included as well. So i would integrate the force i calculated, with respect to s (∫Ff ds). Then i feel like it should be integrated from 0 -> 0.3. Is this correct so far?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Firstly I have never seen Kinetic Energy given the symbol T ? That is usually reserved for Tension.

Secondly, when you looked at just body A, I didn't see any mention of the Tension force in the string??

EDIT: Thirdly, I wouldn't be integrating anything to solve this problem.

PeterO said:
Firstly I have never seen Kinetic Energy given the symbol T ? That is usually reserved for Tension.

Secondly, when you looked at just body A, I didn't see any mention of the Tension force in the string??

EDIT: Thirdly, I wouldn't be integrating anything to solve this problem.

Using T for the kinetic energy is the convention used by my professor and i agree that it was odd when i first saw it as well. Second, i completely forgot about the tension, which only confuses me ever so more in how i need to incorporate it into the equation. I am thinking it depends on mB.

Peter P. said:
Using T for the kinetic energy is the convention used by my professor and i agree that it was odd when i first saw it as well. Second, i completely forgot about the tension, which only confuses me ever so more in how i need to incorporate it into the equation. I am thinking it depends on mB.

Since you thread title is "Princilpe of Work and Energy" - I would be limiting my throghts to those "global" ideas rather than the nitty gritty of each mass.

You have already deduced the 2:1 ratio between movements of each mass.

I would work on:

Mass A goes down - loses Grav. Potential Energy
Mass B goes up - gains Grav. Potential Energy
Mass A slides its distance against its friction [ μN where N stands for Normal Reaction Force] losing some energy.
Mass B slides its distance against its friction, losing some more energy.

The potential energy gains&losses present a start for the final Kinetic Energy of the masses - but some of that is lost to friction on each block.
What is left should enable you to find v using (1/2)mv2, making sure you use the entire mass, as both will be moving since they are tied together.

Last edited:

The principle of work and energy states that the total work done on a system is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this problem, the work done by the forces acting on the system (gravity, normal force, and friction) will result in a change in the kinetic energy of block A.

To solve for the velocity of block A, you can use the work-energy theorem:

W = ΔKE

Where W is the total work done on the system and ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy.

First, calculate the work done by the friction force on block A as it moves down the incline. This can be done by multiplying the force of friction by the displacement, which is 0.3m in this case.

Wfriction = Ffriction * Δs = 14.715 N * 0.3 m = 4.4145 J

Next, calculate the work done by the normal force, which is directed perpendicular to the displacement and therefore does no work.

Wnormal = 0 J

Finally, calculate the work done by gravity, which can be calculated by multiplying the weight of block A by its change in height (Δh = 0.2598076211 m).

Wgravity = m*g*Δh = 60 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 0.2598076211 m = 151.887 J

Now, we can plug these values into the work-energy theorem:

W = ΔKE

151.887 J + 0 J + 4.4145 J = 0.5 * 60 kg * v^2 - 0.5 * 60 kg * 0^2

156.3015 J = 30 kg * v^2

v^2 = 156.3015 J / 30 kg = 5.21005 m^2/s^2

v = √(5.21005 m^2/s^2) = 2.282 m/s

Therefore, the velocity of block A is 2.282 m/s.

Note: The coefficient of kinetic friction is not needed in this calculation, as it was already taken into account in the calculation of the friction force. Also, the potential energy of the block is not needed in this calculation since it is not changing during the motion.

1. What is the principle of work and energy?

The principle of work and energy is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. It is based on the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. Mathematically, it is represented as W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is the joule (J). One joule is equal to the amount of work done when a force of one newton is applied to an object and it moves one meter in the direction of the force.

4. How is energy related to work?

Energy is the ability to do work. Work is done on an object when energy is transferred to it. Additionally, the work done on an object can be converted into different forms of energy, such as kinetic or potential energy.

5. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the measure of energy transferred to or from an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power is the amount of work done per unit of time. The unit of measurement for power is the watt (W).