1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principle of Work and Energy

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the velocity of the 60- block A if the two blocks are released from rest and the 40- block B moves 0.6 up the in cline. The coefficient of kinetic friction between both blocks and the inclined planes is = 0.05.

Here is the given diagram:
    Prob.14-13.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since there is a pulley system, I began with the length equation so that i can determine the displacement of A with respect to B.

ΔsA = -0.5ΔsB
    Once everything is plugged in, ΔsA = -0.3 (or just 0.3m down along its plane).
    Using this, i calculated the change in height as it falls from the top to the next position. Δh = 0.2598076211 m. Then i calculated the normal force exerted by the plane and the force of friction acting on the block A (Ff = 14.715 N (directed towards the pulley system). So here's the part that i dont get. Im not sure how to tie everything together. I know that:
    Kinetic Energy (T), Work and potential Energy (U)
    T1 + U1 -> 2 = T2
    0.5mAv12 + U1 -> 2 = 0.5mAv22

From the free body diagram of the isolated mass A, i know that there is a normal force, the weight of the block, and a friction force acting on it. So from this information, I believe that there should be gravitation potential energy (VG = mgΔh), and i feel like the friction force needs to be included as well. So i would integrate the force i calculated, with respect to s (∫Ff ds). Then i feel like it should be integrated from 0 -> 0.3. Is this correct so far?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Firstly I have never seen Kinetic Energy given the symbol T ? That is usually reserved for Tension.

Secondly, when you looked at just body A, I didn't see any mention of the Tension force in the string??

EDIT: Thirdly, I wouldn't be integrating anything to solve this problem.

4. Feb 15, 2012 #3
    Using T for the kinetic energy is the convention used by my professor and i agree that it was odd when i first saw it as well. Second, i completely forgot about the tension, which only confuses me ever so more in how i need to incorporate it into the equation. Im thinking it depends on mB.

5. Feb 15, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

Since you thread title is "Princilpe of Work and Energy" - I would be limiting my throghts to those "global" ideas rather than the nitty gritty of each mass.

You have already deduced the 2:1 ratio between movements of each mass.

I would work on:

Mass A goes down - loses Grav. Potential Energy
    Mass B goes up - gains Grav. Potential Energy
    Mass A slides its distance against its friction [ μN where N stands for Normal Reaction Force] losing some energy.
    Mass B slides its distance against its friction, losing some more energy.

The potential energy gains&losses present a start for the final Kinetic Energy of the masses - but some of that is lost to friction on each block.
    What is left should enable you to find v using (1/2)mv2, making sure you use the entire mass, as both will be moving since they are tied together.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook