1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principle Stress

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    I have a solid cylinder inside a ring. the r of solid cylinder is 1in and the r of ring is 2in the interference is 0.002in. I found the pressure to 22.5 kpsi.

I need to find the factor of safety against the static faliure of the ring, using MSS theory. to use MSS i need to find the principle stresses. could some one suggest how to do that knowing only the pressure

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2slowtogofast: The PF rules state we are not allowed to tell you how to approach or solve your homework problem. See the required homework template that appears when you start to create a new thread in the homework forums. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math. Perhaps see post https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2064680". By the way, you misspelled principal.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook