Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Printer dilemma

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1

I just posted another topic on a brightess problem when viewing videos and I thought that while I was at it, I might as well ask someone for some advice about another problem I'm having. A few months ago I had an old printer, (which really wasn't very old, but I print so little with it I think the ink might have dried up and caused the initial problem). When I tried to print, it would go throught the motions, but I would get a blank page. I took that printer apart, cleaned all the jets in alchohol, basically tried to get all the old ink that might have been clogging the jets. I'm talking, I broke it down to its basic components here. I even spent close to $100 dollars on the 7 ink cartidges. Same problem. So now I bought a Epson Stylus Photo RX620. It's doing the same thing!!!!:cry: :cry:

Now this was bought at a discount because it was a display model (and I went for it because I was already out $100 on the previous printers ink). I don't feel like taking this one apart. Could it be a software problem? Or is it me???o:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2

Gold Member

You're peeling the sticker off the ink cartridges before installing them, right? :biggrin:
  4. Oct 5, 2006 #3
    :rofl: :rofl: Yes. <got me>
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you installed the correct printer drivers?
  6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    Did you actually not do that or was it sarcasm?
  7. Oct 6, 2006 #6
    I installed whatever was included on the installation disk, which I assume is compatible with windows XP. The first printer worked fine the last time I had used it. It had just been so long in between uses I figured that the ink probably just dried up in the jets or something. Running the nozzle cleaners and such didn't work either.
  8. Oct 6, 2006 #7
    Extreme sarcasm. DaveC426913 is just a funny guy and getting me back for something I said in another thread.
  9. Oct 6, 2006 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it a parallel or serial printer?
    Did you make the new printer the default printer or is the old printer still the default?

If the thing is a USB printer you may have a USB conflict. Try unpluging all other USB devices. Had one of mine do the blank page thing for this reason. Got it to work with a driver update, but only when I was in admin mode.
  10. Oct 7, 2006 #9
    I don't know the difference between the two (parallel/serial) but it is my default printer.
    I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the USB thing. I tried plugging it into another port and this icon popped up in my task bar at the bottom-rt corner of my screen. I clicked on this and it said the device would perform better if connected to a high speed USB port. A quick system check confirms I don't have a high speed USB port.
    I was able to perform a nozzle check using the LED display and the functions built into the printer itself and it printer the test pattern just fine. F-ing computers!!
    I remember after I bought it and it didn't work right off the bat I just was too frustrated with it to mess around.....and there it sat.
    Thanks buddy. You've been a tremendous help NoTime.:smile:
  11. Oct 7, 2006 #10
    That was it! Thanks again for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?