Why Does My Printer Print Garbage?

• Thread starter AKG
  • Start date
In summary: Just out of curiousity, why is it that sometimes, when you print something, the printer puts out garbage, e.g. if you try to print a 5 page thing, it will print out pages and pages (much more than 5 at least) of of weird symbols (a lot of the time, you'll see hearts, spades, diamonds, clubs)?Personally, I've never had that issue. I suspect it's a printer driver problem.It's happened on printers I've used before, but it actually happened to me on a photocopier today.Maybe your printer is possessed :devil:The only time my printer starts printing out wacky characters is if I purposely do
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Just out of curiousity, why is it that sometimes, when you print something, the printer puts out garbage, e.g. if you try to print a 5 page thing, it will print out pages and pages (much more than 5 at least) of of weird symbols (a lot of the time, you'll see hearts, spades, diamonds, clubs)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Personally, I've never had that issue. I suspect it's a printer driver problem.

It's happened on printers I've used before, but it actually happened to me on a photocopier today.

Maybe your printer is possessed :devil:

The only time my printer starts printing out wacky characters is if I purposely do something like this:

cat /dev/urandom > lpr

Just a guess: If it keeps happening with the same program, it may just be a problem with the program, and you can usually find fixes online.
A wilder guess: The printer may be trying to do something, like aligning the cartridges or some such (have you recently changed them?). With my printer, you have to insert the printed page (nonsense lines and symbols) back into the printer in order to complete the alignment, and before you do so, it will print the test page every time you try to print something.

It's been a long time since I've had that problem with a printer, so I have no idea if it has anything to do with the program or not. However, I would guess not, because I've only seen it rarely, but it would probably have been with a program I use all the time. And like I said, this happened with the copier/scanner at my work today, so in this case it wouldn't be a program for sure (right?).

AKG said:
It's been a long time since I've had that problem with a printer, so I have no idea if it has anything to do with the program or not. However, I would guess not, because I've only seen it rarely, but it would probably have been with a program I use all the time. And like I said, this happened with the copier/scanner at my work today, so in this case it wouldn't be a program for sure (right?).
Are there any messages at all on the pages or does the copier/scanner display any messages? Where could the machine get the information that it's printing, unless that information was put there intentionally, i.e., as part of some kind of maintenance test or such that the machine had to do??
Er, that is, assuming it prints the same thing everytime, and it looks nothing like what you were trying to print, and the machine is not possessed.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Are there any messages at all on the pages or does the copier/scanner display any messages? Where could the machine get the information that its printing, unless that information was put there intentionally, i.e., as part of some kind of maintenance test or such that the machine had to do?? Er, that is, assuming it prints the same thing everytime, and it looks nothing like what you were trying to print.
I'm uploading what it looks like. As you can see, it seems to have printed the actual file properly, but then added a bunch of smiley faces and weird shapes on top of it. Last time I had a problem like this (on a regular printer, not a copier) the actual thing that needed to be printed was nowhere to be seen, and normally it would just print pages and pages of just a single line of garbage per page, but the garbage looked the same (smileys, playing card suits, etc.).

I've attached a .pdf file, and for those you can't read such files, I've uploaded a .jpg that shows part of what the page looks like.

Attachments

• LNotesMail.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 256
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 461
That is definately demonic posession

And no, the copier did not display any messages. In fact, I was copying a bunch of files, each file being maybe 50 pages. I did 3 groups of 50 pages, and everything came out fine. Then when I put in the fourth group, I got this. I tried stopping the print but either it wouldn't let me or I didn't press the right buttons. I switched the machine off and then on again, and everything was fine.

So nobody's even seen anything like this before, let alone can explain it?

So it printed the last group just fine after you restarted? Is there anything at all consistent about this problem?! :uhh:
Maybe it is overheating? I didn't find any common effects of overheating, but it might cause your problem.? I remember having the weird symbols printing, but it was years ago, and I don't recall how I fixed it. You may have to call a priest. On the bright side, the seven hearts pattern may mean it's a lucky, caring demon. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Sometimes when printing (typically) pdfs some documents do turn to a weird mix of characters, do however get the whole ascii palette rather than as specific symbols as in this case. The number of pages goes to a new order of magnitude (a document of a few pages usually turns out as some tens of pages of crap). Haven't bothered to replace the driver...

I'd like to know the answer to this one too!

honestrosewater said:
Are there any messages at all on the pages or does the copier/scanner display any messages? Where could the machine get the information that it's printing, unless that information was put there intentionally, i.e., as part of some kind of maintenance test or such that the machine had to do??
Er, that is, assuming it prints the same thing everytime, and it looks nothing like what you were trying to print, and the machine is not possessed.

I have a printer (Lexmark) that has put out garbage characters, and sometimes before doing so, it would put out the message "Flushing Buffers".

I don't think that the garbage is the same each time, but then I'm not sure about that.

AKG said:
Last time I had a problem like this (on a regular printer, not a copier) the actual thing that needed to be printed was nowhere to be seen, and normally it would just print pages and pages of just a single line of garbage per page, but the garbage looked the same (smileys, playing card suits, etc.).

That's what my printer did. Sometimes it put out one line per page; and other times, several lines.

KM

Kenneth Mann said:
I have a printer (Lexmark) that has put out garbage characters, and sometimes before doing so, it would put out the message "Flushing Buffers".

I don't think that the garbage is the same each time, but then I'm not sure about that.
Lexmark says of that message: 'the printer is flushing corrupted print data and discarding the current print job. This message may also occur when the printer has insufficient memory to process a complex PostScript emulation job.' The manual or help section may tell you specifically why this happens and how to resolve it.

honestrosewater said:
Lexmark says of that message: 'the printer is flushing corrupted print data and discarding the current print job. This message may also occur when the printer has insufficient memory to process a complex PostScript emulation job.' The manual or help section may tell you specifically why this happens and how to resolve it.

Thanks, but I still wonder why they put that junk into the output stream? Also, it almost always has involved text printing, so I don't see any complex Postscript Emulation involved.

KM

PS: At this point, the machine is kaput. The electronics (as shows in the liquid crystal front panel) have gone out.

1. Why is my printer printing random symbols and characters instead of the actual document?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the printer driver is outdated or corrupted, which can cause communication errors between the software and the printer. Another possibility is that the document you are trying to print contains unsupported fonts or formatting, which can cause the printer to interpret the information incorrectly. Additionally, a low ink or toner level may result in the printer not being able to produce accurate prints. Lastly, a hardware malfunction or connectivity issue can also cause the printer to print garbage.

2. How can I fix my printer if it keeps printing gibberish?

The first step to fixing this problem is to check and update the printer driver. If that doesn't resolve the issue, try printing a test page to see if the problem persists. If the test page prints correctly, then the issue is likely related to the document you are trying to print. In that case, try printing from a different program or converting the document to a different format. If the test page also prints garbage, then there may be a hardware or connectivity issue that needs to be addressed.

3. What should I do if my printer is printing random characters and numbers instead of the document?

This issue can also be caused by an outdated or corrupted printer driver. Try updating the driver or reinstalling it to see if that resolves the problem. If the issue persists, check the document you are trying to print for any unsupported fonts or formatting. You can also try printing a test page to determine if the problem is with the document or the printer itself. If the test page prints correctly, then there may be a compatibility issue with the document. If the test page also prints garbage, then there may be a hardware or connectivity issue.

4. Why is my printer producing strange characters and symbols on the page?

The most common cause of this issue is an outdated or corrupted printer driver. Make sure to regularly check for driver updates and install them as needed. If the issue persists, check the document for any unsupported fonts or formatting. You can also try printing a test page to determine if the problem is with the document or the printer itself. If the test page prints correctly, then there may be a compatibility issue with the document. If the test page also prints garbage, then there may be a hardware or connectivity issue.

5. How can I prevent my printer from printing garbage in the future?

To avoid this issue, make sure to regularly update your printer driver and check for any compatibility issues with the document you are trying to print. It is also important to use high-quality ink or toner and keep the printer clean to prevent any hardware malfunctions. If the problem persists, consider contacting the printer manufacturer for further assistance.