How can I fix my printer connectivity issue with 2 networks on my laptop?

• Thread starter cpscdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Networks
In summary: So, in summary, you need to set up a static IP for the printer on the 10.22.1.X network, and make sure the 10.5.1.X network doesn't have a default gateway or DNS set.
cpscdave
Howdy everyone.
So here's the issue.
My work laptop spans 2 networks.
Wired its connected to my test network (that I control)
It is setup to be 10.5.1.X
Subnet 255.255.255.0
The router also connects into the main network so my various devices can download updates and what not.

My Laptop also connected Wirelessly to the main network (don't control)
10.22.1.X

The issue I have is Windows isn't smart enough to realize that a printer at 10.22.1.something should be talked to via the wireless adaptor, and anytime I want to print something I have to unplug the Ethernet cable to the main network.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this to not be a pain in the ass??

Computer science news on Phys.org
I found this article where someone had gotten something simular to work on Windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/220875-connecting-two-networks-simultaneously.html

Likes cpscdave
I have seen something similar when the private network (10.5.1.X) has a default gateway or dns set. If those are set you need to blank out the values.

BoB

cpscdave said:
Howdy everyone.
So here's the issue.
My work laptop spans 2 networks.
Wired its connected to my test network (that I control)
It is setup to be 10.5.1.X
Subnet 255.255.255.0
The router also connects into the main network so my various devices can download updates and what not.

My Laptop also connected Wirelessly to the main network (don't control)
10.22.1.X

The issue I have is Windows isn't smart enough to realize that a printer at 10.22.1.something should be talked to via the wireless adaptor, and anytime I want to print something I have to unplug the Ethernet cable to the main network.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this to not be a pain in the ass??
Well, you have defined two different routes to the printer (one wireless and one wired). Don't blame Windows for being confused, your setup is not according to IP standards. In short, two different routes to the same device is not allowed. If there is, something called a spanning tree is created, which means that one of the routes is kept and the other is blocked. This is not something Windows does, it happens "in the network".

1. What is a network printer?

A network printer is a printer that is connected to a computer network, allowing multiple users to access and print from the same printer. This is different from a traditional printer that is only connected to one computer.

2. How does a network printer work?

A network printer works by being connected to a network through either a wired or wireless connection. When a user sends a print request, the printer receives the data over the network and prints it out. The printer may also have additional features, such as scanning and copying, that can also be accessed over the network.

3. What is the difference between a wired and wireless network printer?

A wired network printer is connected to the network through an Ethernet cable, while a wireless network printer connects to the network through a Wi-Fi signal. Wired printers tend to have faster and more reliable connections, while wireless printers offer more flexibility in terms of placement.

4. Can a printer be connected to multiple networks?

Yes, a printer can be connected to multiple networks as long as it has the necessary network capabilities. This can be useful for businesses or organizations with multiple networks, such as a guest network and an internal network.

5. How do I set up a network printer?

The specific steps for setting up a network printer may vary depending on the printer and network, but generally, it involves connecting the printer to the network, installing any necessary drivers, and configuring the printer settings. It is recommended to follow the instructions provided by the printer manufacturer for the best results.