Printing from an iPad Air to Dell laser 1320c

In summary: Bottom line is for the first time ever, my iPad can print to my old trusty HP 2600. Of course the neat thing about Google Cloud print is that it can print to any device supported by a workstation OS.
Guineafowl
TL;DR Summary
Is there a way to do this? I use my iPad for everything, but have no Airprint-enabled printer so have to fire up my 12 year-old, obsolete PC to print. It makes a simple printing task take a good 1/2 hour. It should be simpler.
I may be known on the EE side of PF as someone who hates waste and doesn’t like to throw away perfectly good machines; I like to resurrect faulty gear. This Dell printer was thrown away for want of a touch or two of solder, and works just fine. Do I really need to buy a whole new printer?

This Dell laser 1320c has an ethernet port, and I have an ethernet-over-power line network on top of the usual router/wifi set-up.

Is there a way to connect the printer and iPad to a network (that doesn’t need a PC running) so that I can print from the iPad?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd sure hope if you plug your printer into your LAN, your iPad would be able to see and print to it.

If you connect up the network cable to the printer then you should be able to get some kind of print app to help with this. i have an Epson printer with an Epson appon my Android, i don't see why IOS would not have something similar. Have you tried searching for an appropriate app in the App store?

russ_watters said:
I'd sure hope if you plug your printer into your LAN, your iPad would be able to see and print to it.

🤣 I guess you’re a PC/Android man?!

MikeeMiracle said:
If you connect up the network cable to the printer then you should be able to get some kind of print app to help with this. i have an Epson printer with an Epson appon my Android, i don't see why IOS would not have something similar. Have you tried searching for an appropriate app in the App store?

Can’t seem to find an app that connects to a network printer except the Dell app, which doesn’t support my printer.

Guineafowl said:
🤣 I guess you’re a PC/Android man?!
Yes...guess Steve doesn't want you to print your docs unless its on his printer?

anorlunda said:
I think that one is like the others: OK for wifi printers, but not wired network.
russ_watters said:
Yes...guess Steve doesn't want you to print your docs unless its on his printer?
I used to be a PC man, but got fed up with the hours wasted clicking through the likes of settings>user preferences>options>advanced>further options>choose your own adventure... etc. Crashes, inconvenient virus scans, bloatware, updates which stack on top of old OSs to such an extent that nothing works anymore...

The Apple stuff is more ‘packaged’ - a click or a swipe and it does what you want. However, if you wish to go outside these limits, an iPad is less useful than a wooden chopping board, since you wouldn’t even waste your time attempting the task with a chopping board.

It looks like that’s the case here :H

Guineafowl said:
I think that one is like the others: OK for wifi printers, but not wired network.
It sounds like the printer has to be a Google Cloud printer.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloudprint/id1004348584 said:
Bottom line is for the first time ever, my iPad can print to my old trusty HP 2600. Of course the neat thing about Google Cloud print is that it can print to any device supported by a workstation OS. Any downsides or limitations? Well to print email from native iOS mail client, you have to select-all then hit 'share' and cloud print is destination. (Gmail client for IOS allows native print to google cloud print).

1. How do I connect my iPad Air to my Dell laser 1320c printer?

To connect your iPad Air to your Dell laser 1320c printer, you will need to make sure both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Then, go to the App Store on your iPad and download the Dell Mobile Print app. Once downloaded, open the app and follow the prompts to connect your printer.

2. Can I print from any app on my iPad Air?

Yes, you can print from any app on your iPad Air as long as the app has a print option. Simply select the print option within the app, choose your printer, and select the desired print settings.

3. Do I need to install any additional software to print from my iPad Air to the Dell laser 1320c?

No, as long as you have the Dell Mobile Print app installed, you do not need to install any additional software to print from your iPad Air to the Dell laser 1320c.

4. Can I print to the Dell laser 1320c from multiple iPads?

Yes, you can print to the Dell laser 1320c from multiple iPads as long as they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and have the Dell Mobile Print app installed.

5. Can I print different types of documents from my iPad Air to the Dell laser 1320c?

Yes, you can print a variety of document types from your iPad Air to the Dell laser 1320c, including photos, PDFs, and documents from various apps such as Microsoft Office and Google Drive.