Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Priorities

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

As you go about your normal routines, what do you think, should do,
    want to, have to?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have no priorities. I just do whatever I think about doing whenever I think about it, somehow things get done and I am much less stressed out than when I set priorities.

4. Jan 24, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"What can I skip ? What can I put off until tomorrow, or the weekend ? Do I really need to do that ? This is important, but do I have to do it now ? If I don't do it right away, I'll never do it. Oh, I guess I'll have to do this now. But I'm hungry, I need lunch."

5. Jan 24, 2005 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THINK!

Add in:

"Should I work on this assignment? It is so boring. Why do they assign pointless work? I hate this curriculum."

Note: The assignment is our first Calculus II assignment, and I hate it. I don't give a **** about converting units and densities. Save that for physics, for crying out loud.

6. Jan 24, 2005 #5
    I usually play minesweeper until I get mad, and then I will do something that I need to do.

You are doing that in calc2? wtf? In my calc 2 class we did all kinds of things with integrals, and then series at the end.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  7. Jan 24, 2005 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, with integrals.

Volumes when you rotate around the x-axis, y-axis (whatever junk they got).

It's just that they add annoying crap in it.

They asked us to prove Calvieri's Principle (something like that), which is given when you write the DEFINITION!

I still think it's dumb.

Note: For minesweeper, I got 59 seconds on Intermediate.

8. Jan 24, 2005 #7
    Ok thats why I did for the most part. Except we did not have to prove any principles, we just did a hell of a lot of problems.

For minesweeper, I have 6, 36, 123 (beg, int, exp). My expert is not great, but I am working on it. The other day I almost had a int 33, but I had to guess and picked wrong.

9. Jan 24, 2005 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hate problems.

I like doing proofs and understanding the true concepts of Calculus. I couldn't careless what the volume of some weird function came out to be.

Note: You have a killer minesweeper record. I spent too much time on it, so I got rid of it.

10. Jan 24, 2005 #9
    Yeah same here, but the prof had other ideas.

My minesweeper records are not that good, you should check the records here. http://metanoodle.com/minesweeper/ they are insane, there are even some videos.

11. Jan 24, 2005 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

As I rule, I try not to do that. :biggrin:

Then I do as many tasks as possible simultaneously, usually with interesting results. :cool:

I took Tribdog's multitasking course. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  12. Jan 24, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are definite hazards to multi-tasking. Take, for example, trying to brush your teeth while scrubbing the toilet. Really dangerous if you're not paying attention to which brush is in which hand. :yuck:

Priorities...hmm...I have the list of things with deadlines, the list of things without deadlines that I'd much rather be doing, and the list of ACK!!! I need it today!

But whenever I'm doing stuff, I too aim to get as much done at the same time as possible. In the lab, I'm fond of colored tape on everything to keep track of the 6 different things I'm doing at once. At home, it's a little less structured since it's really not critical if I don't get the laundry out of the dryer the moment it's done because I'm upstairs vacuuming the floors while dinner is on the stove.

13. Jan 24, 2005 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, but do you have a colored sticker on the vacuum reminding you that you are cooking something on the stove. :eek:

14. Jan 24, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, when the smoke detector goes off, dinner is done. Oh, wait, that's tribdog's method of cooking. :biggrin:

I'm not usually that forgetful when the only task of the ones I'm doing that has to be remembered is the food cooking. But, if that fails, the smell of the food will make me hungry so I won't forget.

15. Jan 24, 2005 #14
    If I am working I think, what would an average person get finished, then I try to double it.
    If I'm not working I think, should I paint, check out PF or pleasure myself. If moonbear's online I multitask. lol

16. Jan 24, 2005 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I used to do that, but when you discover your boss is an idiot you do the opposite.

Work slower so you can lower the amount of work the average person would do. :biggrin:

17. Jan 25, 2005 #16
    I've got the greatest boss in the world. Can't say enough good stuff about him. And I'm dedicated to the company. I've only been working for him for a year and I've been given a truck, computer, cell phone and credit card. plus I've doubled my salary.
    plus I like my job so I'll keep working hard.

18. Jan 25, 2005 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I used to work hard, and that explains why I get to take it easy now without anyone really noticing.

I stopped working hard until I discovered that he was a cheap ass and wouldn't pay for good work. This explained why everyone was doing nothing when I first started.

Now, I encourage everyone to do nothing.

19. Jan 25, 2005 #18

wolram

Gold Member

as my job is to keep a factory running, my first priority is to fix the
    things that don't work, my next priority is to fix the things that don't
    work very well, but sometimes i have to fix the things that don't work
    very well in order to keep output levels reasonable, my next
    priority is to modify machines that don't work very well if i can not
    fix them by adjustment.
    my next priority is to make sure we have reserves of gas, fuel oil, but
    sometimes that must be my first priority as the process wont run
    without them.
    my last priority is ordering parts, but sometimes this has to be my
    second priority as machines wont work without them.
    when i get home i only do things that have to be done, pay bills,
    eat, sleep, wash, shave, "i hate that", but i also hate wearing a snood
    so i have to do it, anything else gets done when and if.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?