Understanding Prism Deviation Angle in Optics

In summary, Shamim found this forum and is really interested in physics. She is trying to learn more about the subject and asks for advice.
Shamim
1. Dear all
Hello
My name is Shamim and I am a student in high school and having 15 years old. I am a newcomer in this forum. I have found this great forum from internet while I was searching into that. I am really interested too much to physics and actually trying to learn more about that. I wish I can learn this subject as well as I can and learn a lot from you all dear friends. :smile:
This is my first question in this forum. I hope you dear experts can help me and giving me some advise?
Here there is a prism that a light is going through the prism (thick space) from air (thin space). So because of difference density space the light being broken into the prism and again gets broken from prism to thin space (air). If we length the lines from the light from where is coming inside prism and from where it is going out we will make an angle that it shows deviation angle and it gives us a formula as below, according the book said, that I have:

2. (D= I + r’ – A)[/b]
3. Unfortunately I couldn’t demonstrate for myself this formula. :confused: Would you please advise me?
I am thank you very very much in advance.

Best regards
Shamim

Attachments

• New Doc 11.pdf
    113.7 KB · Views: 773
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shamim, welcome to PF! :smile:
This is really a good place, but there are stick rules. We are not allowed to give full solution to you. And you need to show, what you tried and where you are stuck. Read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686781, please.

You certainly have learned about triangles and you know that the sum of the interior angles is 180°. You also know what the exterior angles are and an exterior angle is equal to the sum of the two remote interior angles.
You might look at
http://www.wyzant.com/resources/lessons/math/geometry/triangles/angles_of_triangles

Now see the attached picture. Both the incident ray and the deflected ray are extended in the first picture. You get the blue triangle. Find how the angles of the triangle are related to i, r and i', r' and with the exterior angle D. In the second figure, the gray angles are 90°. You find a relation for A, r,, i'. Combining the equations obtained, you get the formula in the book.

ehild

Attachments

• devangle.JPG
    devangle.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Dear ehild
So sorry :blushing: Ok, from next time I do the same as you told. :shy: And thank you very very much for your kindness reply and your advise. Very useful to me. :smile: :smile:

Best regards
Shamim

1. What is a Prism?

A prism is a transparent optical element that has flat surfaces, typically made of glass or plastic. It is used to refract and disperse light, separating it into its component wavelengths.

2. How does a Prism work?

A prism works by bending light as it passes through the different angles of the prism's surfaces. This causes the light to change direction and separate into its component wavelengths, creating a rainbow effect.

3. What is a Deviation Angle?

The deviation angle is the angle at which light is bent as it passes through a prism. It is measured by the difference between the incident angle (the angle at which light enters the prism) and the emergent angle (the angle at which light exits the prism).

4. How is Deviation Angle calculated?

The deviation angle can be calculated using the formula: deviation angle = (refractive index - 1) x angle of prism. The refractive index is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the prism material.

5. What factors affect the Deviation Angle of a Prism?

The deviation angle of a prism is affected by the angle of the prism's surfaces, the refractive index of the prism material, and the angle at which light enters the prism. The type of material and the thickness of the prism can also affect the deviation angle.