Solving Snell's Law: Prism Refraction of 700nm Light

• Thread starter Kawrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prism
In summary, a light with a wavelength of 700 nm is directed onto a fused quartz prism at an angle of 61.0 degrees. The prism has an apex angle of 60.0 degrees and an n value of 1.46. Using this information, the angle of refraction at the surface is found to be 36.8 degrees. To find the angle of incidence at the second surface, trigonometry can be used, and then Snell's Law can be applied again to find the angle of refraction at the second surface. To determine the angle between the incident and emerging rays, a ray diagram can be drawn and geometry and Snell's Law can be used.
Kawrae
Light of wavelength 700 nm is incident on the face of a fused quartz prism at an angle of 61.0 degrees (with respect to the normal to the surface). The apex angle of the prism is 60.0 degrees. Using the n value of 1.46, find:
(a) the angle of refraction at the surface
> I did this and figured it out to be 36.8 degrees
(b) the angle of incidence at the second surface
(c) the angle of refraction at the second surface
(d) the angle between the incident and emerging rays

I knew how to figure out part a using Snell's Law, but now I'm lost on parts b-d. Although I think for part d I would just need to know the numbers from b and c? Can someone walk me through this using small words? I am very lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a diagram? You should be able to figure out b using trigonometry, then c is Snell again, and d should be easy.

Draw a ray diagram for your self. Things will be clear. All you have to use is some geometry and snell's Law.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a formula that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light passes through different mediums, such as a prism. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

2. How do you solve Snell's Law for prism refraction of 700nm light?

To solve Snell's Law for prism refraction of 700nm light, you will need to know the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the first medium (usually air), and the refractive index of the second medium (in this case, the material of the prism). Then, you can use the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. Plug in the known values and solve for the unknown angle.

3. Why is 700nm light used for solving Snell's Law with a prism?

700nm light is used because it falls within the visible light spectrum, making it easy to measure and manipulate with standard laboratory equipment. It is also a common wavelength used in optics experiments and is easily refracted by materials such as glass or plastic, making it ideal for studying Snell's Law.

4. What is the significance of Snell's Law in physics?

Snell's Law is important in physics because it explains how light behaves when it travels through different mediums. It also helps to predict the path of light as it passes through objects, such as lenses, prisms, and even the Earth's atmosphere. Understanding Snell's Law is essential for studying optics and designing optical devices.

5. Can Snell's Law be applied to other forms of energy besides light?

Yes, Snell's Law can be applied to other forms of energy besides light. It is a general law that describes the behavior of waves as they pass through different mediums. This means it can also be applied to sound waves, water waves, and other types of waves. However, the formula may differ depending on the type of wave and the properties of the medium it is passing through.