Fixing Vertical Flipping in Prismatic Telescopes: A Troubleshooting Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a prismatic telescope and the issue of vertical flipping of the image seen through the telescope. The individual is seeking guidance on how to remedy this problem and understand why it occurs. They also mention drawing a diagram of the visual path of the telescope to better understand the issue.
[AFT]
I have successfully constructed a prismatic telescope with a fairly sharp, erect image. However, I was disappointed to discover that the image was vertically flipped!

That is, in real life, there would be a car on the left and a man on the right.
When looking through the telescope, the image seen shows the car on the right and the man on the left... its flipped! =o

I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me how to remedy this problem... if it is even possible to remedy it...

And why does this occur??

Many thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram of the visual path of the telescope, then trace a ray from the right side of the objective, and another from the left side of the objective.

- Warren

hmm... i read your advice but i don't really understand what you mean... i tried drawing a finder-ray diagram to illustrate the vertical flipping of the image but i did not manage to attain an asnwer as to why the image is vertically flipped. the finder-ray diagram only showed the side of the object... and its actually the face of the object that is flipped vertically...

please help!

There are many different kinds of "prismatic telescopes," and I can't help you without a diagram of the one you made.

- Warren

1. What is a prismatic telescope image?

A prismatic telescope image is an image produced by a telescope that uses prisms instead of mirrors to reflect and refract light, resulting in a magnified view of distant objects.

2. How does a prismatic telescope image differ from a traditional telescope image?

A prismatic telescope image differs from a traditional telescope image in that it uses prisms to reflect and refract light, while traditional telescopes use mirrors to reflect light. This allows for a more compact and lightweight design.

3. What are the advantages of using a prismatic telescope image?

The advantages of using a prismatic telescope image include a more compact and lightweight design, a wider field of view, and less distortion in the image. Prismatic telescopes also tend to have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to traditional telescopes.

4. How does a prismatic telescope produce a magnified image?

A prismatic telescope uses a combination of prisms and lenses to magnify the image. The prisms reflect and refract the light, while the lenses focus the light to create a larger and clearer image.

5. Can a prismatic telescope image be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, a prismatic telescope image can be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. The magnification and clarity of the image may vary depending on the type of viewing, but prismatic telescopes are versatile enough to be used for both purposes.