Reforming Australia's Prison System: Am I Insanely Cruel or Logical?

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses the flaws of the Australian prison system, where criminals are released early and often have access to luxuries such as internet, TV, and swimming pools. The speaker suggests a class-based system where white-collar criminals are given more comforts and shorter sentences compared to those who have caused permanent harm. The conversation also mentions the US and UK prison systems, where early release and lack of rehabilitation contribute to high rates of recidivism. The speaker expresses a desire to improve the prison system and suggests stricter measures as a potential solution.
Adam
I don't know anything about prison systems overseas, but the Australian system is truly messed up. On average, a criminal in prison costs us AU$55,000 per year (I think that is the figure). Rapists and murderers and such are often released for crazy arse reasons after a couple of years. Sometimes relatively safe white collar criminals are put in with murderers and such. Many of them have internet access, TV and video, swimming pools, very nice gymnasiums, and more. Basically it's a big joke.

I had the idea that our prison system should be as follows:

Class 1 prisons:
- White collar crims, those who have shown no violence in their crimes.
- They get the most spent on their comforts and security, and the most effort is made for training and such.
- Class 1 criminals should never be in prison as long as any Class 2 criminal. Sentences should be shorter than for Class 2s.

Class 2 prisons:
- Crims who have been violent, but have caused no permanent damage.
- In the middle as far as spending and comforts and such are concerned.
- Longer sentences than for Class 1s, but not permanent.

Class 3 prisons:
- Crims who have caused some permanent problem, such as murder or rape or mutilation.
- Very little money is spent on them. Bare concrete cells, gruel for dinner, no TV or internet and such; don't spend much on them at all. Do only enough to meet the bare minimum required under international law.
- Since they inflicted permanent harm, their sentence should be permanent. Leave them in until they die.

And leave all cases available to the public for further investigation.

Am I insanely cruel, or is this a logical system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here in the US you can get a longer prison term for car theft then you would for rape or murder.

Kyle - Yep.

Here in the US, anyone, in for any crime, can get off after about 10% of their term for good behavior. When a jury gives someone life in prison, that prisoner can still get out on parole hearings...

Furthermore, our prisons are so full, because of the lack of reeducation for prisoners, that we let people go all the time on parole. They continue to committ the same or worse crimes.

Boy I wish I was the USA Dictator. In one year this country would improve so much.

In the UK you gety let out really early but people want to go back inside because there lifes are better in than out very stupid! sounds like all of the prison systems around the developed world are the same.

1. What is the current state of Australia's prison system?

The current state of Australia's prison system is overcrowded and underfunded. It has a high recidivism rate and fails to adequately rehabilitate prisoners.

2. How does Australia's prison system compare to other countries?

Compared to other developed countries, Australia has one of the highest incarceration rates. It also spends less on rehabilitation programs and has a higher proportion of indigenous prisoners.

3. Why is there a need for reform in Australia's prison system?

There are several reasons for the need for reform in Australia's prison system. These include the high cost of incarceration, the negative impact on prisoners' mental health, and the failure to reduce crime rates or provide effective rehabilitation.

4. What are some proposed solutions for reforming Australia's prison system?

Some proposed solutions for reforming Australia's prison system include investing in rehabilitation programs, addressing underlying social issues that contribute to crime, and implementing alternatives to incarceration such as community-based sentences.

5. Is prison reform a logical or cruel approach?

Prison reform is a logical approach as it aims to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the prison system. It also prioritizes the well-being of prisoners and addresses the root causes of crime, rather than simply punishing individuals. However, it may be perceived as cruel by those who believe in a strict punishment-based approach to justice.