Private Messaging: How to Message Members & Moderators

• Thread starter Kevin McHugh
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, you can choose "Members Only" or "People You Follow Only", or un-tick the checkbox to disallow conversations from anyone.Under My PF --> Privacy --> People Who May... --> Start conversations with youyou can choose "Members Only" or "People You Follow Only", or un-tick the checkbox to disallow conversations from anyone.
Kevin McHugh
Is there a way to private message other members or moderators without clogging up the forum discussions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin McHugh said:
Is there a way to private message other members or moderators without clogging up the forum discussions?

yes, click on their user name and select " start a conversation "
Dave

davenn said:
yes, click on their user name and select " start a conversation "
Dave
Unless you click on davenn's name of course. It appears that users can block conversations but I'm not sure how you do that.

Borg said:
Unless you click on davenn's name of course. It appears that users can block conversations

seriously ?, you can't msg me ?

people can be put on ignore, but I currently have no one in that status

davenn said:
seriously ?, you can't msg me ?

people can be put on ignore, but I currently have no one in that status
When I click on your name, the "Start a Conversation" link isn't there - even when I go to your profile page. I think that I've seen some Science Advisors and Mentors do it in the past so that people wouldn't PM them with questions that belonged on the forum.

Under My PF --> Privacy --> People Who May... --> Start conversations with you

you can choose "Members Only" or "People You Follow Only", or un-tick the checkbox to disallow conversations from anyone.

Likes Borg
Borg said:
When I click on your name, the "Start a Conversation" link isn't there - even when I go to your profile page. I think that I've seen some Science Advisors and Mentors do it in the past so that people wouldn't PM them with questions that belonged on the forum.

ohhh

jtbell said:
Under My PF --> Privacy --> People Who May... --> Start conversations with you

you can choose "Members Only" or "People You Follow Only", or un-tick the checkbox to disallow conversations from anyone.

ah hah didn't have the box checked for either choice ... it's now members only ... maybe I was getting hit with crap too often and turned it off ?Dave

I see it now Dave.

Likes davenn
I don't remember whether the old forum software also had an option to receive messages from non-members. It looks like now, this is not possible at all, which makes sense. It makes it easier to deal with persistent problematical private messages by banning the perp.

Likes davenn

1. How do I send a private message to a member?

To send a private message to a member, go to their profile and click on the "Message" button. This will open a private messaging window where you can type your message and send it directly to the member.

2. How do I know if someone has sent me a private message?

You will receive a notification in your inbox when someone sends you a private message. You can also check your private messages by clicking on the "Messages" tab on your profile.

3. Can I delete or edit a private message that I have sent?

No, once a private message has been sent, it cannot be edited or deleted. It is important to carefully review your message before sending it to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I report inappropriate private messages?

Yes, if you receive a private message that is inappropriate or violates our community guidelines, you can report it by clicking on the "Report" button within the message. Our moderators will review the message and take appropriate action.

5. Is there a limit to how many private messages I can send?

Currently, there is no limit on the number of private messages you can send. However, we ask that you use private messaging responsibly and only send messages that are relevant and appropriate for the recipient.