1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prjectile Motion

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    A rifle fires a bullet at 300 m/s at a target that is up on a wall 100 m away. The rifle's line of sight creates a 30 degree angle with the horizon. What initial angle does the rifle need to be directed to hit the target?

The formulas I thought I needed are:

Vy=ViSIN(30) Here my Vi is the V-"not"
    Vx=ViCOS(30)

I found that the height of the target is 57.75 m, and the hypotenuse is 115.5 m...

I was told to find time then use a kinematic equation. So I found t=.33. I came up with several different angles in several dfferent ways and they are all too large... My prof said that it is only raised a very little bit. I have had MANY failed attempts at this and just can't figure it out.

I appreciate any help possible!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Whenever solving problem for inclined plane, consider axis along the inclined plane as x-axis and perpendicular to it as y-axis. Then
    Vi(x) = Vi*cos(θ-α)
    a(x) = -gsin(α)
    Vi(y) = Vi*sin(θ-α)
    a(y) = -gcos(α) where α is the angle of inclination and θ is the angle of projection along the horizontal.
    Now proceed as usual in the projectile motion.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. Apr 30, 2010 #3
    I am just working in circles... just come up with the values I'm already given. I don't understand what formulas to use...

5. Apr 30, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Time of flight T = 2vsin(θ-α)/gcosα
    Horizontal displacement OX = vcosθ *T
    Range along the inclined plane = R' = OX/cosα.
    Angle of inclination α is given. Now find θ.

6. May 1, 2010 #5
    Thank you so much for your help! I think I finally got it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook