Exploring the Ethics of Pro-Life Activism: Perspectives from Physics Forums

In summary, the conversation discusses the opinions and thoughts surrounding pro-life people who murder doctors. Some believe it is a result of an absolutist, manichean view of the world, while others see it as a contradiction to the pro-life stance. The conversation also touches on the debate between pro-life and pro-choice beliefs and the difficulty of reconciling the death penalty and abortion. Ultimately, it is seen as a dilemma that must be worked out by the three entities involved (the mother, father, and child). The conversation ends with a discussion on the death penalty and the belief that it should be reserved for cases involving murder or rape.
Entropy said:
If the child really thought his life was worst than death then wouldn't the child commit suicide? I know that's a very grizzly and disturbing statement, but perhaps its the truth.
This is all off topic, so I cannot respond to all of your post. I will just briefly say that you should read up on and maybe even volunteer time in a shelter for battered and abused women & children. Donate time in a ward for children institutionalized for life that were born to mothers who were drug addicts and are basically unadoptable. You may find great personal reward in helping the less fortunate improve their lives rather than mindlessly opposing abortion regardless of the consequences.

So Entropy, getting back on topic. How do you feel about the "pro lifers" that kill doctors? Interestingly, they have all been religious fanatics. I do not think that normal, mainstream religious people or even so called "pro lifers" condone these murders, but I have seen no great outlash from the religious or pro life community against them that leads me to think that underneath the outer displayed disaproval there is an inner hidden sense of satisfaction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know I don't do community service? You don't even know me, how can you just assume I'm some shmuck who is completely devoid of kindness. Because I believe its possible for someone to overcome harsh conditions and make something of themselves and grow up to lead happy lives. Because someone has had poor parenting they are worthy of sympathy and help. But if they choose to continue the abuse then they are not longer innoccent and its their fault, although the abuse they suffered may influenced them it did not force them to repeat the actions of there parents.

As a matter of fact I've done my share of community service. Perhaps not the same as you've stated but no less important. I use to help out at my local state park where my mom volunteered helping give trail rides. The man who runned the stables that gave the trail rides also lived in the park in a small shack. He was crippled from the waste down and had only one good hand due to motorcycle accident. I'd help out usually on the weekends just doing general labour he was unable to do, despite the fact I don't like horses. Unfortunately his health took a turn for the worst and he died of a heart failure. So after the stables were closed because no one else could run it. We did end up adopting one of the horses who had an accident and lost one of her eyes and therefore couldn't be sold.

So Entropy, getting back on topic. How do you feel about the "pro lifers" that kill doctors? Interestingly, they have all been religious fanatics. I do not think that normal, mainstream religious people or even so called "pro lifers" condone these murders, but I have seen no great outlash from the religious or pro life community against them that leads me to think that underneath the outer displayed disaproval there is an inner hidden sense of satisfaction?

They are murders. Treat them as any other criminal. Giving them the attention above any other murder whether it be from pro-lifers or from abortionists gives them what they want and that is to be heard, and therefore gives incentive for others to do the same. I believe if you ignore the fact why they did it and just look them up it like any other criminal it will make the other fanatics more hesitent to do the same.

Entropy said:
How do you know I don't do community service? You don't even know me, how can you just assume I'm some shmuck who is completely devoid of kindness.
I wasn't referring to just doing community service, but gaining an understanding of victims of abuse, some of your comments make me think that you don't understand, like this statement
Entropy said:
"But if they choose to continue the abuse then they are not longer innoccent and its their fault"
It's not that they choose to continue the abuse, especially in the case of children. It is very easy for someone on the outside to just say "they can leave any time, it's their own fault if they stay and put up with it". I have learned how wrong that is. The victims are not guilty. One of the biggest hurdles for these victims to overcome is their feeling that it *is* their fault. But we are straying off topic again.

Entropy said:
They are murders. Treat them as any other criminal. Giving them the attention above any other murder whether it be from pro-lifers or from abortionists gives them what they want and that is to be heard, and therefore gives incentive for others to do the same. I believe if you ignore the fact why they did it and just look them up it like any other criminal it will make the other fanatics more hesitent to do the same.
The last pro life murderer, I can't remember his name, loved the publicity he was getting. He said that he would become a martyr. He was nuts. But when you deal with fanatics of this type, ignoring them may not be a detriment because they believe they are doing god's work.

Last edited:
The last pro life murderer, I can't remember his name, loved the publicity he was getting. He said that he would become a martyr. He was nuts. But when you deal with fanatics of this type, ignoring them may not be a detriment because they believe they are doing god's work.

True, but what else can you really do about them? Besides posts guards around ever abortion clinic. Anyone have any other ideas about stopping them?

I wasn't referring to just doing community service, but gaining an understanding of victims of abuse, some of your comments make me think that you don't understand, like this statement

I'm very well away that it can be extremely hard and depressing having parents who deep down don't want you. In real life I don't really speak up against abortions, but if I had to stand somewhere it would be against them because deep down I believe that killing doesn't solve anything. But anyways I'm done talking about this because this is really just going around in circles.

Entropy said:
In real life I don't really speak up against abortions, but if I had to stand somewhere it would be against them because deep down I believe that killing doesn't solve anything. But anyways I'm done talking about this because this is really just going around in circles.
I deeply respect your convictions, and I don't like the idea of abortion either, but I am not opposed to it in certain situations. Yes, it is an argument that can only go in circles.