1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob question

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    I'm stuck...

Shedz processes two varieties of kiwifruit – green and gold. Constraints on daily packing are
    as follows:
    • At most, 2 000 trays can be packed in total.
    • At most, 1 200 trays of green can be packed.
    • A minimum of 200 trays of gold need to be packed.
    • The ratio of the number of packed trays of green to gold must be no more than 5:2.
    The ratio of the profit per tray of the green variety to the gold is 12:13.

Three types of tray are available; “all cardboard”, “cardboard / wood” and “all wood”, and Shedz
    wishes to determine how many of each type to purchase.
    The cost per tray is $1 for “all cardboard”, $2 for “cardboard / wood” and $4 for “all wood”. Shedz
    budgets $5 000 per day for purchasing trays. Shedz requires 2 000 trays per day, with between 10%
    and 30% of them being of the “all cardboard” type and as many as possible (subject to the above
    criteria) being of the “cardboard / wood” type.
    Using these criteria, determine Shedz’s daily requirement for each type of tray.

How do I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First of all, you need to understand that this is NOT a probability problem! This is a "linear programming" problem. Also I think it would be a good idea to go back and read the proble again. You give a cost of each kind of tray but I can see nowhere in the problem where that information is used or needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?