1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob. question

1. Sep 7, 2003 #1
    This might seem very basicto some of you, I'm just not a math person, and wondering if someone could help me with this:

A, B, and C shoot at a target in this order: ABCABCABCABC... until the target is hit. Each shot and each shooter is independent of each other. The probability that A hits the target is 4/5. The probability that B hits the target is 4/5. The probability that C hits the target is 1/3. What is the probability that the first person to hit the target is B?

Could anyone explain how you do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2003 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For any cycle, the event that B hits first is A miss followed by B hit (prob = 4/25). The prob that all three miss on a cycle is 2/75.
    The net result is that the prob that B hits first is
    (4/25)*(1+2/75+(2/75)2+ ...)=(4/25)*(75/73)=12/73.

4. Sep 7, 2003 #3
    Thanks a lot, but could I ask for the logic behind the (1+2/75+(2/75)^2) part? I'd highly appreciate it.

5. Sep 8, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The probability that everyone misses on a given "cycle" is
    (1/5)(1/5)(2/3)= 2/75. That's the number in the series.

The "1" is if B hits on the first cycle.
    "2/75" would be where everyone misses on the first cycle, then B hits on the second.
    "(2/75)^2" is where everyone misses on the first two cycles, B hits on the third.
    "(2/75)^n" would be everyone missing on the first n cycles, B hits on the next.

Of course, that forms a geometric series so it is easy to sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook