Probabilities and independence

In summary, we are trying to prove that for a set of independent events A1, A2, ..., An, the probability of their union is equal to 1 minus the product of the individual event probabilities. This can be shown by using the fact that the probability of the complement of a union is equal to the product of the complements, and that A1, A2, ..., An being independent implies the complements are also independent. Additionally, we can use the notation of intersection and union to make the proof more concise.
dionys
Hi...Can you please check if my proof is correct?

Exercise:
A1,A2,...An are independently events.
Prove that :
P(A1[union]A2[union]...[union]An) = 1-Πi[element-of]I(1-P(Ai))

note for this (Πi[element-of]I(1-P(Ai))
I={1,2,...n)
P([intersect]Ai)= Π P(Ai)
for 3 events A1,A2,A3
means: P(A1[intersect]A2)=P(A1)*P(A2)
P(A2[intersect]A3)=P(A2)*P(A3)
P(A2[intersect]A3)=P(A2)*P(A3)
P(A1[intersect]A2[intersect]A3)=P(A1)* P(A2) * P(A3)

Now my proof:
We know that P([intersect]Ai)= Π P(Ai)
if A1,A2,...,An are independent then and the complements
are independent

P([intersect]Ai)complement = Π P(Aicomplement)
P([union](Ai compl) ) = Π(1-P(Ai))
1-P([union]Ai)= Π(1-P(Ai))
-P([union]Ai)=-1+Π(1-P(Ai))
Finally ... we got our proof
P([union]Ai)=1-Πi[element-of]I(1-P(Ai))
Is it correct?

And one more...
but i don't know how to prove this:
A,B,C are independent
We must prove that A and B[union]C are independent too
...?

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't follow some steps in your derivation (then again, it's pretty early here and I`m half asleep).

(Try using LateX, it makes your notation look more sexy. Click on the formulas to see the code.)

I would do the following:
[tex]P\left(\bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i\right)=1-P\left((\bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i)^c\right)=1-P\left(\bigcap_{i=1}^n A_i^c\right)=1-\prod_{i=1}^nP\left(A_i^c\right)=1-\prod_{i=1}^n(1-P\left(A_i)\right)[/tex]

Hi there,

Your proof for the first exercise is correct! Good job.

For the second exercise, you can use the definition of independence to prove it. Recall that two events A and B are independent if and only if P(A[intersect]B) = P(A)*P(B). So, to prove that A and B[union]C are independent, we need to show that P(A[intersect](B[union]C)) = P(A)*P(B[union]C).

To do this, we can use the fact that P(A[intersect](B[union]C)) = P((A[intersect]B)[union](A[intersect]C)), and then use the definition of independence for A[intersect]B and A[intersect]C. Can you take it from here?

Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification. Good luck!

What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is often expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are those in which the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. Dependent events, on the other hand, are those in which the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of another event.

How do you calculate the probability of independent events?

To calculate the probability of independent events, you multiply the probabilities of each event occurring. For example, if the probability of event A is 0.6 and the probability of event B is 0.4, the probability of both events occurring is 0.6 x 0.4 = 0.24.

What is the formula for conditional probability?

The formula for conditional probability is P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A|B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has already occurred.

How can you determine if two events are independent?

Two events are independent if the occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event occurring. This can be determined by calculating the conditional probability of the events. If the conditional probability is equal to the probability of the event, then the events are independent.