1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilities and time

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Say I roll a dice every 2 seconds. So in t seconds, I will have rolled the dice t/2 times. I want to find a way of knowing the mean value of the dice-throws (i.e. the mean number of eyes on the dice) as a function of the time t.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since there are equal probability of getting 1 .. 6, I would say the mean is just 3.5, and this is not dependent on time.

By the way, is there a difference between average and mean? The way I have understood it, the mean is the theoretical average of eyes when tossing the dice infinitely many times, while the average is looking at a specific series, i.e. the series 1, 3 and 5 has the average 3.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The mean is the "arithmetic average" for a uniform probability distribution as you have here or a "weighted average" if not. Your distinction is between the distribution mean and sample mean, not between "mean" and "average".

And, as you calculated, if you roll a die a number of times, the overall mean is a constant, 3.5. It is independent of the number of times you roll the die.
  4. Jan 2, 2009 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?