Calculating Mean Dice-Throw Values Over Time | Probabilities and Time Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mean value of a dice roll as a function of time. The solution suggests that the mean is 3.5, regardless of the time, and explains the difference between mean and average. The mean is the theoretical average of a uniform probability distribution, while average is calculated from a specific set of data.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Say I roll a dice every 2 seconds. So in t seconds, I will have rolled the dice t/2 times. I want to find a way of knowing the mean value of the dice-throws (i.e. the mean number of eyes on the dice) as a function of the time t.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there are equal probability of getting 1 .. 6, I would say the mean is just 3.5, and this is not dependent on time.

By the way, is there a difference between average and mean? The way I have understood it, the mean is the theoretical average of eyes when tossing the dice infinitely many times, while the average is looking at a specific series, i.e. the series 1, 3 and 5 has the average 3.

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mean is the "arithmetic average" for a uniform probability distribution as you have here or a "weighted average" if not. Your distinction is between the distribution mean and sample mean, not between "mean" and "average".

And, as you calculated, if you roll a die a number of times, the overall mean is a constant, 3.5. It is independent of the number of times you roll the die.

Thanks.

1. What is the meaning of probability in relation to time?

The concept of probability in relation to time refers to the likelihood or chance of a certain event occurring within a specific timeframe. It is a measure of how likely it is for an event to happen given a certain period of time.

2. How is probability calculated in relation to time?

The calculation of probability in relation to time involves dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This gives a decimal value between 0 and 1, which can also be represented as a percentage. For example, if there are 10 possible outcomes and 3 of them are favorable, the probability would be 3/10 or 30%.

3. What is the role of time in probability distributions?

Time plays a crucial role in probability distributions as it is often used as a variable to represent the likelihood of an event occurring. It can also be used to determine the mean, standard deviation, and other parameters of a probability distribution, which can help in predicting future outcomes.

4. How does time affect the accuracy of probabilities?

The accuracy of probabilities can be affected by time as it is constantly changing and can lead to fluctuations in the likelihood of certain events occurring. As time passes, new data may become available, which can affect the probability of certain outcomes. Therefore, probabilities should be regularly updated to reflect the changing nature of time.

5. Can probability be used to predict the future?

While probability can provide insights into the likelihood of certain events occurring, it cannot accurately predict the future. This is because probability is based on past data and does not account for unforeseen circumstances or random events. However, it can be a useful tool in making informed decisions and evaluating risks.